Strange out of place animals

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    My Dad raised tobacco and share cropped many small farms when he was alive.One summer we raised a small
    patch located on a narrow ridge top surrounded by woods. On the one side was a deep wooded hollow with
    a line of locust trees running almost the length of the field. My Dad was cultivating the tobacco with the tractor as my
    brother and I were chopping out between the plants.
    All of sudden my Dad dead stopped the tractor and yelled at us to look while he was pointing at the tops of those locust trees.
    We looked and swinging and screaming thru the tree tops was a small monkey with a red collar around his neck.
    His tail was as long as his arms and he used it like another arm. He never slowed down as he swung thru the trees out of sight.
    We never seen him again after that.

barney and bondhu like this.
  2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Saw a cinnamon teal in a slew off the Ohio River in Boone co!
    A group of birds were circling our spreed just out of range, we were confident they were going to make a pass close enough for some shooting.

They flared at the last moment, I look at my buddy and asked him if he saw anything unusual in the group? He said to me, did you see that cinnamon teal!
    I was like yea I was hoping I wasn't seeing things.

Capttrae likes this.
  3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Was sitting in my stand. Slow morning so I let out a few loud grunts. All at was I hear something coming up the hill breaking brush, coming fast. I just knew it was a big buck. It was a big buck alright , my neighbors Billy goat had gotten loose. He ran upon the flat I was watching and gave a big bahahaha ! I started to shoot the bastard. Lol

4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Saw an escaped ostrich on the RR tracks in Bardstown back in the early 90's.
    Was fishin on the Ohio one time back in the 80's and saw a huge tail and dorsal fin several times that day. People were stopping their boats and asking us if we saw it to verify they weren't crazy

5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I caught an American Eel one night while catfishing on Drakes Creek. That thing was about 3 feet long, strong and HOLY CRAP the slime. I'll see if I can find the pics that were taken. I had no idea what it was and ran it up the KDFWR chain. They said the eels breed in salt water and live in fresh water. That thing made quite the journey from the ocean to Drakes Creek.

6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    My dad hit an escaped circus elephant with his truck in Michigan one time

Panther45 likes this.
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I got to eat emu egg's for breakfast on one Arkansas duck hunting trip. A guy came up from Texas that raised them and brought 3 dozen egg's for the gang. I still have one here, emu egg's are dark green. You poke a hole in each end the blow out the contents. Shell it to brittle to just crack like a chicken egg.

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Almost forgot. My parents have had a male peacock running around with the turkeys around their farm in Indiana for at least the last 3 years. Turkeys act like it’s one of them. Obviously someone’s escaped pet. Seen it so many times now it’s not a shock anymore. They get serious wind and snow up there, so surprised it has survived a couple winters.

9. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Rabbit hunting one time in Knott county around an old grown up haul road and heard the dog cut a shine out ahead. Took to running to see what was up and it was a big ole 300 pound white and black hog. It wore that dogs ass out for a minute or two. All I had was birdshot on me so I hauled ass back to my truck, drove the half mile back to the house for a slug but when it got back it was gone and never to be seen again.

Capttrae likes this.
  10. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    We had just moved into our new house and I walked outside one morning to leave for work. Caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye as I was closing the door. The neighbor across the street had a potbellied pig on the roof of their house.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  11. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I guess emus get around because I saw one running down the side of the road in Webster county and don’t know of anyone that had one in the area.

Also on two different occasions I’ve had a peacock come in with wild turkeys in different countries.

Once while bow hunting I caught a glimpse of something white running through the woods. I then had 12 hogs about 300 pounds come directly under me. Turned out to be my uncles but was odd seeing them strolling about the woods.

12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Theres a zebra on a farm close to me.

in Alberta, waiting on my guide to pick me up bout an hour after dark, something walking and crunching the snow getting closer and closer to me. Imagination taking over. Loaded up the 300 Wby. I just knew it was going to be a fight to the death.....B&C porcupine waddled by at 5'. I would have sworn a 1000 lb bear was going to eat me. While common there, first porcupin I had seen.

At Ky lake last month. Forgot my phone in bassboat. Went down to dock after dark to get it. An armadillo rustling around in the leaves. First live one ive seen.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  13. supergoat80

supergoat80 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    Haha we had a goat turn up on our farm there in Adair county. Sheriff was trying to kill him cause he was running a muck on the parkway. My brother got him one mourning said he jumped up on a big rock just like a big horned sheep.Double lunged him.

14. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I have ran across emus twice several years apart. The first came up on me while looking for sheds and he second one I saw on my place a few years ago several times. Nobody around us has emus. And just a few weeks ago I saw a pot belly pig in my hayfield.

15. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Almost hit a camel on wood lake road in Scott Co once.

I found an Antelope horn on my farm in Robertson Co. Took a few months to figure that one out. Neighbor down the road a few miles lost one outta his truck after a hunt out west. I guess coyotes packed it around. Wasn’t chewed up much, but it had to be that or a dog for it to travel that far