Strange out of place animals

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

First porcupine I ever seen was up in Canada also. Passing thru the Riding Mountain national park in Manitoba and it crossed the road in front of us. Buddy yell's stop the truck and took off after it thru the bush. Like you said it was B&C class size, I bet it would have hit the scales at 25 pounds. It was a bright yellow in color not the normal grey black ones we ran across in Michigan later on. When buddy gave up trying to catch it we ask him what the heck was he going to do with it if he did. He said fishing floats out of the quills. The first one I seen in Michigan was up in a pine tree eating bark. One of the guys had set up a bait under that tree and was wondering what had chewed off all the bark off several limbs. Guess he found out the next morning he climbed into that stand and it was above him and climbed down past him. He took down that stand around noon that day. Old Porky was back up there later in the day eating away.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    First porcupine I ever saw was walking along the road in the UP as a kid. Crazy to see for a kid from Indiana.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

We actually had a guy with us in the LP that thought porcupines could throw their quills. I was with him one day and had one walking thru a fallen treetop and every time I would kick that top it would raise it's quill's and that guy would run like heck away then slip back up and I would do it again and he would run again. I finally got tired of messing with him and let it just walk away. City boys just never learn..LOL.

4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Pretty sure I saw a wolverine in Glacier Ntl Park about 15 years ago. We were hiking across a snowfield about a mile or so from the the visitors center at the top of Trail Ridge Road and saw something too big to be a marmot but too small to be a bear going thru a rockfield below us. Too high up to be a badger and the only other thing that comes close to what we saw is a wolverine....

5. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Saw a black phase red fox once here in Floyd co. That was cool
    Caught a wild albino rabbit in a trap in the garden eating our mushmelons when I was a kid

6. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Seen a white tree rat for a few years then he was gone guess he got ate or moved on

7. Saw a large silver fox while calling coyotes in Greenup Co about 15y ago. Saw a solid black squirrel in western, KY a couple of years ago. I was so surprised when I saw the fox that I never even thought about shooting it. Very beautiful creature.

Irish

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I thank Eugene or Marcel Ledbetter took a bunch of cuckle burrs to New York and sold them ,to the city boys for porcupine eggs

DaveInJax, Capttrae and Munson like this.
  9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Common around me but just different. This gal showed up and hung around most of the winter few years back. She vanished before spring.
    white   turkey.jpg

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Can’t really say I’ve ever seen a critter that was completely out of place.

These dang armadillo’s we got around here we’re a slight oddity at first but I’ve seen & been around them turkey hunting in Missouri. So no real surprise then or now. Freaking things are pretty thick now and we don’t pay much attention anymore.

However...I do remember the time I saw my first beaver.

Big_Steve, bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  11. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    That's something a young boy never forgets :)

Nock, Capttrae, Powerstro284 and 3 others like this.
  12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
  13. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This stuff might come back and bite em in the a-s too,they better leave nature alone .

14. I think it would be pretty cool to be able to recreate some recently extinct species, but the sabre tooth tigers and pterodactyls not so much ha.

15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I would agree...but like the inability to control killer bees, fire ants, etc, has demonstrated to me that Man can't handle it.

drakeshooter likes this.