Sunflowers

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Rob7, May 11, 2005.

1. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Going to be planting some Clearfield Sunflowers this weekend for a dove field and would like some input on best way to fertilize and spray for weeds. Bag says seeds are developed to be used with beyond herbicide by BASF. This being the first field I've planted I don't want to mess it up by doing something silly. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Rob...

2. Fur and Feather

Fur and Feather 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    Kill everything off first with glyphosate. Then during your growing season use the herbicide recommended for your crop.

You are going to be late for a soil test. Sunflowers like nitrogen and need a good amount of rainfall. Do not go without fertilizing. Your lime uptake at this point will be very low so lime that area this fall after you are done with the crop. Go ahead and get soil samples done though to make sure you are not too far off with anything you put down. You will have to do so again in the fall due to the fact that anything crop you put there will ultimatly change the soil in some way.

One thing you may want to look at is how high a deer density you have in your area. If you have a good amount of deer you may be very disappointed in the sunflower crop. They just love them to death, literally. The sunflower stalk holds alot of water and the deer will kill one another to get to them. they are a no go in our area but ten miles down the road do just fine out in an open field away from woods.

Just something to consider. Good luck.

3. KentuckyTracker

KentuckyTracker 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Daviess County,Kentucky
    You can plant some 'Bleeding Heart - Luxurient' or 'Christmas Rose' around the perimenter of your plot. Deer hate these, and stay away at the smell of them. Well, I just found a whole variety of plants deer hate at Parks Seed Company .

I have always had luck with the 'Christmas Rose' and the 'Bleeding Hearts'. Although, the Bleeding Hearts have to be the 'Luxuriant' variant or it will not do! Let me know, I have all kinds of organic remedies for pest problems. I have been raising my own organic garden for at least 10 years, not to mention when I was a child gardening with my family. I picked it all up from my Grandad who has been gardening organically for about 60 years now.

Here is a spray that I have heard a lot about for Rabbits and Deer. Deer Spray

As far as using glyphosate a.k.a. Round-up or another brand, you can usually spray on one day and plant AT LEAST 3 days later. Not before then. Also, I would wet the area down really good on the second day in the area you sprayed. This will cause the grass or weeds to open up and suck the glyphosate in, thus speeding up the killing time of the weeds.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  4. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    A solar charging electric fence can work to keep deer out, double fence 4 feet apart with a couple strands on each fence, polytape works great and is a visible barrier.

It may take a year or two for the deer to figure the flowers out, but at the price of clearfield sunflower seed, I'd fence.

5. KentuckyTracker

Apr 17, 2005
    Daviess County,Kentucky

I wouldn't count on it! The deer stay away from the flowers in the first contact! To be honest, I wouldn't waste 2 pennies on a electric fence. If you want to get technical about it, the deer can jump that fence too:). Unless it is 5 feet high of course. I have seen deer jump electric cattle fences all day long.

Personally I would bank on "Mother Nature" handling this one before I would waste money on technology. If nothing else, the deer deterent spray works just as good as a deer attractant works to ATTRACT deer, this stuff works to DETER them.

Just to give you an idea, you can plant the flower seed in with your sunflower seed and they grow together. Hmm .... let's see ... spend $20 on flower seed or hundreds on a fence. I'll stick with the flowers. Also, if you don't want to take my word for it ... ask your county agent, or a field biologist. Oh wait! I am a biologist!;)

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  6. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    ...............ah the entertainment................;)

Hang in there Joe.:D

7. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    Let's see, hmmmm, if Tom Edwards can grow sunflowers on the Bluegrass Army Depot using an electric fence as I've described to keep deer out, it will work on any private land any where. If I was willing to buy sunflower seed at near $200 a bag, I certainly would want to protect the crop, the investment in fence and charger for around $600 will do that for years.

Personally, if deer were a concern, I'd plant millet, or plant wheat in the fall for a crop next season.

Or I'd buy the cheapest sunflower seed and use pre and post emergent weed control and hope for the best. I would not expect any hair, soap or rotten egg concoction to keep deer away.

Smear a little peanut butter on an aluminum foil tab every 50 yards on some hot polytape, deer will avoid it from then on.

8. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

hey joe, arent you a buyolajist too.....LOL

9. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose

Heard he just plays one on TV!:D :D :D :D

10. KentuckyTracker

Apr 17, 2005
    Daviess County,Kentucky
    Sorry CSS archer, but I don't agree with you! I don't see spending $600 on a fence job, when you can have a similar result with natural means.

Then again, I'm not one of those hunters that likes to see everything fenced up!:rolleyes: Seems like more hunters would want to use natural means to cure a wildlife problem, instead of the answer of "Fence it up!!!"

My method is PROVEN to work and just as good as an electric fence. Then again, I'm not one to fight Mother Nature with technology. For the record, the plants that I have listed are known by MOST true field biologists to work on detering deer. That's why we recommend that people plant them in organic gardens where deer are a problem.

Seems to me like more people are jumping on the 'no fence' idea. Look what Remington is advertizing! Plot Saver

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  11. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    The blugrass army depot....hmmmmmm that runs along Hwy 52 going to berea right? yeah I belive it does...........Ive seen several deer over the years jump the perimeter fence and its 6 feet tall and has 3 strands of bobbed wire on top of that......some make it and some unfortunately dont........

I thought he want to plant a dove field not a small food plot..........How many acres of sunflowers are you going to plant? Is it going to be stripped or solid sunflowers?

I would me amazed to see deer totally destroy several acres ( 20-30 ).of sunflowers, if that is happening let me know .....It would be an awesome sight to see as well as hunt adjacent tooooooooo.......:D

12. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    In most places it takes a few years for deer to develop a taste for sunflowers. After they figure them out, they love them. I have seen them eat every head in a 10 acre field. The critical time is when the flower forms and is still in the "doughy" stages.

I've given out information on plant repellents and sprays to deter deer, and in a garden situation they might work. Personally, in my 15 years as a wildlife biologist, I don't know of anyone who has tried those methods and had any success at keeping deer out of nurseries, vineyards or commercial gardens.

If someone is willing to spend the money on Clearfield sunflower seed and the chemicals to control weeds within, and they have a deer problem, an electric fence if done properly will protect the crop.

Or you could spend a significant amount of money and time to plant the perimeter in deer unfriendly plants. I'd bet it cost more to do that than fence?

13. mossyhorns

mossyhorns Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Back in the 80's I found a chemical called Hinder that was a deer repellent. We sprayed it on the follage around the edges of our soybean fields in the LBL. LBL even had me spray it around their sunflower patch. It worked -- but you had to reappy after every rain.

14. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Appreciate the responses. Don't have a deer problem, farm is very open with very few small woodlots, closest deer about 1.5 mile away, not to say one or two won't sneak over but can't imagine it would become an issue. Field is about 5 acres. After speaking with several people who have planted similar fields in the past we're going to fertilize with 19 19 19 and then use the BASF beyond herbicide once the sunflowers reach about 12" and hope for the best. If weeds do become a problem we will spary entire field with Round Up couple weeks prior to season and kill it all off.
    Thanks again,
    Rob...

15. Okie

Okie 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    Caddo, Oklahoma
    Tracker fan

Sure makes me proud to know we have a " real" wildlife biologist posting on here. :D :D :D