Sweet Little Lies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hillfarm, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:09 PM.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I dug a few in my younger days also....:D

barney likes this.
  2. wv67

wv67 8 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Kids today don’t have a clue on that kind of work. Most have never cut grass , changed oil in anything , fix breaks , fix their own dirt bikes cut wood etc , Iadked 29 juveniles at a detention center a year ago how many of you have cut grass 2 said they have , none of them had never went fishing or hunting , never changed a tire on a vehicle they was between the ages of 15-19 sad

00noturkey and Hillfarm like this.
  3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I used to change the oil in my car as a kid...all the time. But cripes, you can hardly get your hand in there now to get to the oil filter.

But you're right...I'm surprised they even know how to wipe their cracks. Maybe they don't.

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Me too! Granted, I used an excavator.

Hillfarm and barney like this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It doesn't matter..
    digging is good for the soul whether using a vintage shovel, and mattock, or an excavator. I find digging especially satisfying when the earth being moved is of a perfect consistency to actually be moved. Not to wet, not to dry.. "just perfect". That one thing always seems to yield a gratifying end result, and an unpretentious sense of self-understanding and inner peace, and also an intuitive grasp of reality.

6. Hillfarm

Hillfarm 6 pointer

Jan 24, 2019
    N. KY
    I've always felt something special turning dirt, even with a tiller. I've just never heard it put so poeticly. I agree totally, but never knew quite why, until now, thanks barney.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    drakeshooter and barney like this.
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You would love the military. They tell you to dig a hole then once dug tell you to fill it in...:D.. Never deep or wide enough for some of those old NCO's.. :eek:

8. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Good words, Barney.

Hillfarm, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I had a woodshop teacher in highschool who hated me because I could answer his stupid woodworking questions. When he would ask a question my hand always went up..He started ignoring my raised hand after a few weeks in his class, hoping some other student would raise their hand with a stupid answer that he could dismantle in his quirky manner.

In the second semester, we built a mantle clock. The teacher would have to approve each successive step of the process. One of the steps was hand sanding of the parts before moving on to the next step. When you thought a part was sanded enough, you took it to him to approve it. I watched as he approved most every student in the classroom but me. I took him my work one last time that was perfectly sanded and ready to assemble, but he turned it down for the third time because he said the ogee edge bead on the base needed more attention. I agreed with him...walked straight over to a disc sander, flipped it on, and zipped the ogee edge through a couple of times and walked straight back up to his desk and ask him if this was better? He looked me straight in the eyes and said.. You're a damn smartass, aren't you? I stared him in the eyes ready to bitch slap him HARD until he looked down. The guy was really nice to me the rest of the year.

Feedman and beauhunter41031 like this.
  10. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    I’ll give a young guy an education that I guarantee they can make a darn good living with. 6 figures if they apply themselves. Just gotta show up, put their freaking phone down, and pay attention!

00noturkey and barney like this.
  11. 00noturkey

00noturkey 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i like the way most dirt smells, and have been known to take my shoes an socks off, to walk in the dirt when tilling.

barney, Hillfarm and Gforcetrivers like this.
  12. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Like rain on cement or fresh cut grass, baked bread.

barney, Hillfarm and 00noturkey like this.
  13. 00noturkey

00noturkey 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    fresh cut grass smells like watermelon. when getting hay for the horses, ya can smell the good hay after getting it a while, smell the mold potential also.
    education go's in many ways. just not what is taught now days in school or college. to learn about life, you have to experience it, in some form.
    at night, the horses see what to eat, because the color changes, of the food, or grass. i know this, because of walking with my horses at night. its something that can only be learned this way. the good stuff at night, has a different color. what looks green during the day, looks different at night. more gray. the darker stuff, is the stuff to be avoided.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    Hillfarm likes this.
  14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I agree those type kids are getting harder and harder to find. Just like the old boy that got a job and no matter how many days they schedule him he would only work 4 days a week. When ask why he did that he said because I can't make it on 3 days a week.

drakeshooter likes this.
  15. I give you all that grief and then you go and make me lol. Good one!