Tenn vs ky

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, May 4, 2017.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    i know there's a few tenn hunters on here. Tenn has a 4 bird limit and ky a 2. Do u tenn guys see less birds on the avg with a 4 bird season or is there plenty of birds to go around?

2. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    now who :)do you think is crazy enough to admit on this board they are living in Tennessee???:):)

as of the time of this post Ky has killed a few hundred more birds in its shorter season/lower limit than tenn has in a longer season with a higher season limit.

"I have a friend" in Tenn who says Ky has historically better turkey hunting, and I agree with him. I do hunt both states (and have for a long time) and several others each year. As far as less birds, that is hard to say, since the annual REPORTED kill totals for each state are usually pretty close , even with Tenn having a 4 bird and six week season. IF you went to the Tndeer forum on turkey hunting , or talked to a group of experienced LB hunters in Tenn you would see the consensus among them is that the 4 bird limit is too high and it should be reduced to 3 , and many say 2.

Ky kill total would be much higher IMO if the season started even one week earlier in a typical weather year; Tn starts when, in a typical year, the break up is either still on and just ended.

The last two years in an area I have hunted in Ky for decades there seem to be substantially less birds and more difficult hunting; taking more days to get two tags filled than in the past. I do not see that population swing downward or difficult hunting in Tenn, although some south central Tenn counties have had significant population declines documented.

I used to think KY had the best eastern hunting in the country, and Tenn was more difficult. From last couple of years i don't think that anymore, and basically Im hunting exact same places annually in each state.

Also notable is that the eastern end of both states in the mountains have a lot of birds that are relatively unpressured, and on a different calendar in the breeding cycle . There are always birds there at any time of season in any year if you are man enough to hunt them. Some of this ground is public and some private and that doesn't seem to make any difference to many when they get on top of the mountain.

As far as the original question as to what has the limits done to populations, there is no way to know since true harvest is impossible to determine and true base flock numbers are too. I can tell you it now takes me less mornings in Tenn on a per bird average in Tenn to kill season limit of 4 than it does now to kill 2 in Ky; I'm hunting private land in good areas in both states. But thats only happened in last few years , and for decades before it was the opposite. This is just what I have seen, and friends who are serious hunters have shared with me, and everybody is entitled to their own views of course.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. Wrangler

Wrangler 6 pointer

Apr 13, 2008
    I live and hunt in Tennessee and I wished we had the bag limit of two gobblers just like Kentucky,four birds is to many to kill in my personal opinion.I also wished we had a one buck limit like Kentucky also.Alot of Tennessee hunters dont think about next year,they just are interested in killing as many as they can.

4. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I totally agree.

5. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I proposed to kdfw the idea of giving an individual a bonus bird, or a bonus buck tag for information leading to a conviction/arrest of a poaching incident. Unfortunately, elk are the only species that get any such of a reward. I think people would be more inclined to report illegal activities if they were getting something in return. Jmo

6. hitch

hitch 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I think the hunting is better in Ky with the 2 bird limit and half as much season. I hunt both and consistently hear and find more birds in this state. TN has good hunting but it's not on the same level. At least not where I hunt.

As someone who does kill their 4 each year I'd gladly give up 2 birds and go back to a 2 bird limit.

7. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    They offer a 500 doller reward dont they for the turkeys? I bet if extra tags were involved for a reward more people would be inclined to stand up for whats right. Me personally i could care less about a reward. If i catch someone illegally hunting or killing turkeys we are gonna have major problems. Because i want my kids to be able to hunt just like i did when i was a kid and even now. An if people break game laws nobody wins. People really should set down and think about what there doing before they decide to break any game law. If they got a brain cell in there head they will quickly realize that its not the best choice and nobody will benefit from it.

8. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I was told by my county co and a elk biologist that elk are the only reward game

9. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    But I know a few that will kill as many as possible. And I don't understand why other than being greedy and jealous.

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I found this information on the Tennessee Fish and Wildlife website. I think that it is for the 2016 turkey season.
    21,516 successful turkey hunters

70% 1 bird
    19% 2 birds
    7%. 3 birds
    4%. 4 birds

With only 4 % of 21,516 or 860 hunters killing 4 birds, they are not likely to change the bag limits.
    I am sure there are lots of unchecked birds but that happens in all states.

11. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Interesting statistics, but inconclusive in all respects since Tenn has no method or information to know how many turkey hunters are actually hunting in the state. There is no turkey license separate from a big game deer license , nor even a check the box on a big game application to designate whether a big game hunter even hunts turkeys. The thing about numbers and statistics is 'garbage in' gets 'garbage out'. Lies, damnable lies and then there are statistics....

The numbers you have cited tell you about successful hunters per telechek, but the numbers of unsuccessful are a complete unknown. As are the "outlaws". And no one has a clue what the turkey population really is due to the impossibility of a headcount. So the roulette game on actual hunting impact on the turkeys in the state will continue, as you say.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I hope ky leaves the bag limit at 2. Where I hunt is mostly public and there's some dang good hunters that use it. It would be disastrous with a 4 bird limit. I love to turkey hunt but I want to have a good population to hunt years to come.

13. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    I would hope people would have enough sense if they can kill 4 birds they should bounce around different farms/areas and kill their others. If I kill one on a farm I usually wont shoot another on it that year. I know I'm not the only one who hunts it and I have no idea what the people surrounding it are like and how many they are killing. I usually try to shoot one here in mason co then go to lewis or robertson for my second. Just because your aloud to shoot that many doesn't mean you should.

14. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Buddy I know some people that would shoot it if it were the last turkey in existence. Just to say they killed the last known turkey.

15. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    If your hunting in those county's you should know plenty of people that mudhole crossing is referring too. Ky season is great the way it is, if you dont believe that ask a nonresident hunter.