Tent Camping setups on a grand scale. One family.

Discussion in 'Camping' started by TripleGee, May 14, 2018.

1. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Yeah this is probable supposed to go in the camping section but I wanted to get the most input as possible.
    I've decided to get back into tent camping without roughing it. I once saw a group of folks from Ohio come into a campground, set up tents and canopy over table and leave for the lake within one hour. Their organization was amazing especially as far as time management. I'm taking their basic strategy and using it for my own.

So, do any of you on here do the big time tent camping experience? And can i see your setups?

I'm wanting to get a large tent at least a 14 by 20 up to a 10x20 or so and place 2 queen sized double stacked air mattresses and 2 twins in it if both my girls go. Gonna get extra tarps for ground cover and air cover also.

Would like ideas and input from y'all on what else you've done that I may not have thought of. And, as usual, I'm very appreciative of all your input.
    Thanks.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I saw you post this on another thread. I can’t really help with this question. I bought a cool “tent on wheels” back in 2011 and hate that I can’t take it out more. It’s a vintage pop up Apache that someone took good care of. I understand doing what it takes to get the family involved. My wife who is not a camper will sleep in my setup so I’ll take it. Sounds like you’re looking for a good sized tent?

3. Dangermouse

Dangermouse 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2004
    Hazard, Ky, USA.
    I have had the Big Horn for Cabelas for about 14 years. I really have used it a lot , other than a big horn goat that came though the screen door it has held up well. It has a odd shape and with four cots it is tight, I have the stove setup never used that though. Unless you are going to leave it up for a month or so at a time I would not look at the heavy canvas, just the canvas on the big ones weight a 100 lbs .

4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I tent camped for years and years. Then bought a camper. Sure wish I had the money back then to have bought a camper. Tent camping is ok for short time camping. Rainy Days Not good. Cold days not good.. Hot days not good.. I got a new 30 foot Camper. Can back it in place. Level it put out my canopy over picnic table hook up electric and water be on the water in an hour. Plus much better sleeping in a camper bed than air mattress.

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    This was my set up Memorial Day weekend. It ain’t fancy but serves our purpose and I can get it into a lot of places. Got a double bed on each side. Rained Sunday night. We slept great and woke up dry.

Attached Files:

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Get you a piece of that fake grass (or any other outdoor carpet) and put it out in front of your tent. It helps tremendously to keep your tent clean and dry.

7. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I have the largest family tent that REI makes plus the "garage" for it as well. It will fit two queen air mattresses and likely a twin. I have had issues at campgrounds actually having a tent pad large enough for it.

And apparently the picture I have of it set up is too large.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  8. Billy02

Billy02 Fawn

May 18, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    I never camped in such number, so i wont be of much help.