The Creedmoors-- Next Classic Cartridges, or next Super Short Magnum

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by ptbrauch, May 31, 2017.

1. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    What do you think--will the 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5mm Creedmoor have some sticking power, or will they fade out pretty quickly like the super short magnum craze of a few years ago?

2. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I think they have there place. I have a 6.5 creed, but was more to do with a phenomenal deal and it filling a niche then the actual fad. I don't know if they will maintain there current draw when the new kid hits the block, but I doubt they fade in to oblivion.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    It's hard to say! I can't believe some that have been thrown aside over the yrs.

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Its seems that most of the ones tossed aside are only slight improvements over what is already available. I think the 7mm-08 ought to receive more acceptance than it does, but it falls right between the .308 and .243, so most people are only going to pick one of the 3 and everybody's granddad/uncle/neighbor has a .308 or .243.

That a creedmoor can be shot out of an AR might just help it stick around, so long as the guns do.

But then again, besides that, what does it offer over a .243?

5. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    It provides a much heavier bullet 143g I believe is the heaviest I have seen or you can drop to .243 weights as well. For me .243 has always been too light a bullet for big deer. Don't read to much into that I have killed plenty of deer with a .243 and my son still does. I hunted with the 6.5 this year because my brother was using my go to .270win. I was pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness on deer of the 140g SST on the Creed. The 123g SSTs really smoke a yote.

6. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    I think the 6.5 creed will be around for a while. The 6mm creed, not so much. With the .243 and the 6mm rem already being used, plus the 6mmBR being used by many benchrest guys, I just dont see the 6mmcreed catching on. But the 6.5creed has a tad more case capacity than the 260 remington plus I believe it can be used in the AR10 platform so I think it sticks.

7. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
  8. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    The reason I was asking is that I am seeing the Creedmoor being written about and touted as next great thing in a lot of magazines, but I also remember the super short magnums being talked about the same way.

davers likes this.
  9. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Agreed. But I also know several people that own them. They offer a lot of performance on the bench and in the field. They are reasonably cheap to shoot and seem to be an inherently accurate cartridge like the venerable .308. I think the 6.5CM is here to stay. First really revolutionary cartridge design to be made readily available to the public that fills a niche and delivers...

10. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Last year, after deer season, I retired my 270 and 7mm mag because of the 6.5 creed, it's just that good of a round. Weight, distance, energy...on and on. Hornady has put this round on the map with a dead center bulls-eye. I have not tried hand-loading this round yet, but I doubt if I could get better results than the current Hornady offerings. I have been putting back a few bucks for a quality scope that's going to cost almost double what I paid for the rifle, as I expect this will be my last hunting rifle I buy....you just don't need anything else for the lower 48.

predator1 likes this.
  11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I think it's compatability with the AR platform is what sets it apart. It's here to stay.

12. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Yeah, I've seen these "New Age" cartridges come and go in past years. I'll stick with the older and proven cartridges, of which some were developed 50-100 years ago.

13. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Agreed but it is based on a cartridge with a fairly steep taper and there have been some instances where there have been feeding issues with it. For the AR platform, the .260 should be a better option since it has less taper and is based on the .308 case.

14. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np Fawn

Nov 24, 2016
    South central Kentucky
    I think they have their niche and are partly a fad too, but they'll stick around. I know some guys that I never knew even handled guns that have bought a 6.5 mm creedmor, then they mention it to me like it's some new caliber nobody's ever heard of but them and talk about how great it is.

15. peckprice

peckprice 6 pointer

Feb 7, 2005
    Manchester, KY
    Bought it due to the hype, love it for the performance. Starting to finally see some affordable ammo deep in the sticks but will continue to hunt with the Hornady GMX. I think our 74 year old Dad, who is a dyed-in-the-wool 30-06 man, has taken possession of our 6.5CM.