The Evil Donkey...curse of my hunting property

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I shared this tale of a malicious farm animal on another forum and thought you guys might appreciate it.

Some years ago...nearly a decade, probably, I was sneaking through the dark spring woods to be near a field where I often seen the local gobblers hang out. It was still pitch dark as I crept through the brush, as I wanted to be in position well before any of my targets woke up. It was also very quiet, and every little stick I stepped on sounded like a gunshot to me. Thus I was already on edge when I first heard it close up.. the hideous alarm noise of the evil donkey, a fell and odious beast that was to torment me to this very day.

As I neared the place I intended to plop down, a terrible noise broke the pre-dawn silence. It is a difficult sound to describe; like a cross between a deer snort and a dying hippo trying to clear a pulmonary obstruction. It's a wet, burbling chuffing noise, both repulsive in it's resonance and terrifying in it's sudden volume... the sound of the world's biggest hocker being brought to bear. It was also barely 20 yards away and cloaked in darkness, both literal and metaphorical.

Needless to say, I nearly evacuated my bowels that morning, and many mornings since. The long-earred varmint has good eyes too, as he often spots me approaching my deer stand regardless of the time of day. There used to be two of them, now only one. Unfortunately it's the loud one that survives.

I wish I had better pics, but these were taken from the stand that I shot my deer from this year. The afore-mentioned field starts maybe 25 yards behind it. Luckily Evil donkey was busy that day.

Do you have any wicked farm critters to deal with?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Feedman, hotdog, barney and 1 other person like this.
  2. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    No evil farm critters but there are a couple of beavers that like to slap their tails in the predawn or post dusk and scare the crap out of me.

ojibwa62 and Hoosier Sasquatch like this.
  3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    That donkey will keep the dogs and coyotes ran off your deer spot.

Hoosier Sasquatch likes this.
  4. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Once, very close to the spot where the treestand is, I was on my hands and knees working on a campsite when a fawn burst into the clear, maybe twenty feet away. I was gonna go for my camera when I heard movement again, and I figured it was mom. To my great surprise, a large coyote came out! He saw me go for my pistol and went back the way he came, while the fawn ran out in the field and stayed in the middle. Maybe he knew what he was doing! At any rate, I was glad that the fawn was safe that day.

5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Years ago, my husband & I used to hunt the farm across the road from us. They had an old horse, a stallion, who did NOT like anyone but the owner of the farm. So every year, we'd be careful to find out which area he was in (the farm was fenced off into several area) so we didn't run into him. One year, I'd been in my stand for about an hour when all heck broke loose in the woods I'd come thru to get to the stand. I'll be darned if that horse didn't come thru there, with is nose to the ground, tracking me like a big hooved bloodhound!!! When he saw me in the stand, he went absolutely NUTS, whinneying, stomping, kicking... I was terrified he was going to hit the stand & take it (and me!) down but I sure didn't want to shoot my neighbor's horse! He finally calmed somewhat but kept circling the tree I was in & watching me like a hawk. If I even moved an inch, he'd go off again. I was stranded in that darned tree all day (without a deer in sight) until my husband came looking for me, saw what was happening (thank goodness he saw the horse before it saw him!), and went and got the owner of the farm to call of his horse! Darned thing had broken down the fence between the two areas & come over to where I was hunting... After that, I made sure to stay at least two areas away from him when I was hunting over there!

6. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Yep. Long story short. I grunted in my neighbors billy goat that had escaped. I could hear him coming in the leaves. I thought it was gonna be the buck of my dreams until he popped upon the flat and let out a big BaaaaaAa!

PUBLIC RAT and Hoosier Sasquatch like this.
  7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Maybe that's what I need, fence off my farm and get a donkey! Dog problem solved and will only cost me $15k

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    No need to spend $15k, just train the donkey to stay on your property.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  9. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Didn't know that was possible.

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Had a similar issue with big o'l mean bull.

11. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    SSS would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

12. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I had a calf feeding on my deer corn one time... I had shot a good buck and was giving him time to die... A butcher lived two houses down and I figured it was one of his.... I went and told him.. He said he didn't have any calfs but if I shot it ; he would split the meat with me!!!

I declined and he told me where to find the owners... I found them and they followed me to my stand but the calf was gone and I ended up losing the buck for 4 days till we spotted buzzards.

13. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 6 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    This isn't a farm critter but a wild bird. So I'm in my tree stand with my eyes closed and all mello.When on the other side of the tree a giant woodpecker and I'm not talking 6 inches tall I'm talking the 18 inch tall bird started Jack hammering on my tree. Scared me bad!I was glad for my safety vest and being tied to tree.

14. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    Breathitt Co.
    My family has a Jenny (or however it's spelled, female donkey). I hunt in the head of the hollow. When that thing brays, or whatever you call it, it's the god awefulest noise. If you didn't know what it was, you would swear there's a sasquach in those hills.