The Science of Hunting (Part 1)

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Pooge, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    Hunting for Nerds 101

Having Coffee and Calculating Antler Spread
    By Pooge

In a never ending quest to entertain myself I have used a simple mathematical equation to determine many things while in the woods hunting. This weeks experiment will be to use this equation to determine the antler spread of a Whitetail Deer using nothing more than a coffee stir stick and a few simple measurements.

Lets begin by showing the equation in the form we need for this calculation:
    A = a (D / d)
    Where (A) is the width of the target (i.e. antler spread), (a) is a known width of a reference object, (D) is the distance to the target, and (d) is the distance from your eye to the tip of the reference object.

In this example, the reference object is a simple coffee stir stick and it measures .125 inches in diameter.

First, place the stir stick in your hand and pinch between your index finger and thumb. Hold at arms length from your body, directly in front of you with your thumb pointing up.
    Next, have someone carefully measure from your eye to the tip of the stick. This measurement should be remembered as the basis for all future calculations (d). In my case, this value was 30 inches.

So now we have 2 of the necessary values for our equation:
    a = .125(n)
    d = 30

Now lets pretend a deer is 20 yards away, and we know this because we are really good at determining distances and or have a range finder, or now how to determine range based on my next essay.
    (To practice this, use trees at various distances from the stand.)

D = 20 yds or 720 inches (as there are 36 inches in a yard)

Now, extend your arm, holding the stir stick, just as in the initial measurement and calculate how many sticks will fit between each edge of the antlers, or whatever you are measuring).

Lets say for examples sake it turned out to be 5.

Now we know that a = .125(5) or .625

The rest is simple...

A = .625 (720 / 30)
    A = .625 (24)
    A = 15 inches
    [​IMG]

You can simplify this operation by pre-calculating and cutting pieces of wood for a 15 inch spread at varying yards and forget about the stir sticks completely.

For example, in my case, I already know that if I cut a piece .625 inches in width and I hold it up to a target at 20 yds, if target is wider than the wood in my line of sight, the target is greater than 15 inches in width.

For 30 yards:
    A = 15 (the minimum spread we are looking for)
    D = 30 yds or 1080 inches
    d = 30 (eye to tip of reference object)
    a = A / (D / d)
    a = 15 / (1080 / 30)
    a = 15 / 36
    a = .42 inches

Practice this while sitting on stand using trees as your target. Write down the values you come up with and then measure the trees diameter when you are done hunting. You would be suprised how close you can actually get to accurate measurements. You will be equally suprised at how fast the day goes by.

You can use this method for many other things besides antler width, think about it... This aint rocket science boys and girls... [:)]

Stay tuned...

2. mike.one

mike.one 8 pointer

Pooge,

Is the stir stick a bears penis or a coons penis?

http://www.kentuckyhunting.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5854

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity!

3. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    LOL!, Which ever one fits the best in your hand Mr. Mike ... [:)]

4. mike.one

mike.one 8 pointer

You better read my posts on the above referenced link! Don't neither fit in my hands - nor any other place!!

I like your calculation. We used to be required to do similar calculations in boy scouts to determine height of say a cliff. Then we'd go up top and drop a known weight object and time it, using a different calculation to double-check our first calculation. I forgot about that stuff until I read your post.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity!

5. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

I like your post, however, to pass time in the stand I think I'll stick to reading a book. [:D]

6. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    Thats why for just $19.95 you, yes you, can have every QDM hunters dream! The one and only Antlerometer by PoogeCo! Tell us your measurement and we will custom fit a set of Antlerometers just for you in yardages of 20, 30, 40, 60, 80 and 100 yards! Always know how big they are before pullin' the trigger! Never again pay large fines for small tines! Call now while supplies last! Act fast and you will receive FREE! Yes! FREE 2 additional markers for 70 and 90 yards! Precision science and manufacturing have given us the ability to give to hunters for the first time an accurate and dependable method of antler measurement at ROCK BOTTOM prices!

REMEMBER! SMALL SPREAD MEANS MORE BREAD! DONT GET CAUGHT SHORT AGAIN!

7. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Quote: Never again pay large fines for small tines...........
    LMAO.
    Good one Pooge
    Do you have an Uncle Ronco?

8. polcat

polcat 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2003
    corbin, ky, USA.
    pooge you have way to much time on your hands

The more i learn about deer hunting...The less i seem to know

9. brow_tines

brow_tines 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Lake Cumberland, KY.
    Pooge was the movie A Beautiful Mind about you? Just joking. I think you might have stumbled up on something very interesting and can be put to good use. Thank you

10. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    A beautiful mind..........have you ever seen Pooge??????? I bet thats the first time anyone put Pooge and beautiful in a sentence together. sorry Pooge, couln't resist that one..

11. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    No worries mate. I agree with your assesment 100%... I'm just hoping when we go boar hunting the dogs dont try to flush me out. [:)]

12. Rob

Rob Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Murray, KY, USA.
    Lucky for me, I drink my coffee black!

It's hard to dance with the devil on your back...