Think I’ll give bear hunting a try this year.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by basshunter9239, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Don't be so worried about a big pissed off bear coming at you. About all you have to worry about is getting between a sow and her cub or cub's then things can get serious. And then you just need to back away slowly from the direction you came in from talking to the bear in a calm voice, 99% of them are going to run like heck at first sight or smell of a human. Our main outfitter/guide only carried a single bit ax for protection most of the time. Only one year did she carry a rifle and that was a year the berry crop failed and bears were protective of their bait sites and her husband thought it was a good idea to do so. I have had one run in over the years of hunting them up north and that was when a youngster got curious as to what that blob was up in that tree stand (their eyesight is much like a pig not that good) and climbed up the ladder to check it out. As soon as it's nose cleared the edge of the stand I gave it a swift kick in the nose. It fell off that ladder when it tried to grab it's nose with both front feet, last I heard was it breaking brush for 100 yards or more getting the heck out of dodge never to return the rest of the hunt. I have had a couple circle the stand site popping their jaws in warning if they got wind of you but none came close. Hunted some very thick swamp type stuff and one 25 to 30 yards away was hard to see. Easy sound to make yourself, take a empty coke can and smash it with one hand several times is the best way to describe the sound.

2. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Jaw pops are hair raising in the dark when ya spook one LOL. But funny after the fact we see bears all the time ya don’t have to worry about them bothering ya I have a 5 pound yorkie that’s ran a few off LOL.

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Would be fun to explain 14 dead bears to a CO. They might lose that one in court. Might be able to have an entire room have bearskin carpet

katlynn likes this.
  4. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Spike

Aug 21, 2007
    Richmond, Ky
    Thanks for that. I guess I was reading it wrong. I could think of 100 ways to write that better.

katlynn likes this.
  5. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Spike

Aug 21, 2007
    Richmond, Ky

I had always heard that if they get hurt, like shot or hit with an arrow, they would turn to fight rather than run off. That may be for grizzly or something, hell idk. You know how everyone has a dramatic hunting story to tell...lol

6. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I’m with you...it could have been presented much better. I hadn’t looked at bear regs for several years so I was already shocked that they had expanded the zones so much. Then (I thought) I read that you could take up to 14 bears!!! lol

The hubby saw a bear mount when we went to pick up his elk recently and now wants to go bear hunting. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I introduced him to deer hunting!

7. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

But, if a single Hunter killed 14 bear in Letcher County, we would give him the Keys to the County, he'd be a HERO!!

I hate these garbage bag tearing, feeder destroying, camera pawing stinky critters!!!!

barney likes this.
  8. danf26

danf26 6 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    i will second that

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

How hard is it to get permission to hunt bears over you guys way ?

10. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

About the same as it is for us Mountain Guys to get permission to hunt a good farm in A Zone 1 county.

11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Lol, sounds like a trade might be in order. You boys may end up liking them bears after this plays out!

12. danf26

danf26 6 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    lol

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You sure you want to come west to a zone 1 county ? Was getting a haircut this afternoon and gal doing the cutting said her and husband moved west from Pike county just to be near a zone 1 county. They have been here two years and he has yet to kill a single deer. I told her I could kill deer near every day while standing on my back deck. She said she guess her husband was not a very good hunter....LOL.

14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Looks like they don't hate those bears as much as some say. Want to hunt a zone 1 county ? Peabody will for the most part be in a zone 1 county ( Muhlenberg) starting this year, only cost $15 for the permit. Most of the farms in zone 1 areas are leased by OOS hunters or hunted by the land owners family/friends
    Not to say all eastern Kentucky hunters are the same so don't take it that way but from what I have seen gaining access to a good western farm requires one not to show up with their extended family but hunt alone or maybe with one buddy. We see that on Peabody every year, they call it tent city in the Paradise area. My sister was in charge at one time before the state took over of issuing Peabody hunting permits. She kept track of one eastern Ky family she gave permits to, One guy was 87 years old and she ask why yall come all the way here to hunt deer, he told her it was because we done killed all the ones over our way. She spotted buzzards near their campsite after they left and checked, Counted 14 deer in one gully behind where they camped with only the backstraps missing. She remember that and that group did not get permits the next year.

15. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014