Think I’ll give bear hunting a try this year.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by basshunter9239, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

????????????

2. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

This entire thread started with pictures of a large bear, hence the BIG BOY post......

SMH.......

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Sorry but none of those pictures are of a BIG bear. Might go 150 lb tops. Big bears belly near drag the ground and none of these do. Young male like the others that have been seen around the state. When you see a big bear you will know it.

4. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I seen one called "legs" go 350+. His head wouldn't fit in a 120qt cooler, by width of course. He was 6'6" nose to base of tail.
    The bear they killed in this terrible occurrence was(reportedly) a 250lb sow with a 1 1/2 yr old boar cub. From what I read the client went to his pack for a glock but couldn't get it to fire(wtf?) And threw it at guide being attacked, but fell short and he hit the trail beating feet. I don't what I've done in this situation but I don't think my conscience could let me sleep at night leaving a man behind damn well knowing he never had a chance.
    Also, why wouldn't the guide pack a "bear stopper" going in on a fresh kill in griz country??

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

large bear.png
    You would think experienced guide would carry enough gun to at least get a griz attention. A 9mm is just not enough gun to do that job. Most in that country carry a 500 SW from what I have been told. As far as the client going for help one don't know what they would do put in the same situation. And caught by surprise. Our favorite outfitter/guide in Manitoba carried nothing more than a single bit ax most of the time. They last time we hunted with her she carried a lever action 44 mag but only then since her husband told her to. It was a different deal that year because they had a berry crop fail and bear were even coming into town looking for food. And a lot had a bad attitude. She got one call while we were there from a resident of the town she lived in asking if she had hunters in camp and did they have any tags. Seem a quite large one was on her porch trying to open a garbage can. We had tagged out by then and couldn't be of any help.
    Did you know there is one thing on a bear that don't grow over it's life span and is a dead give away when looking for size. Their eye's stay the same size from birth until death. That's why when you see a big bear it looks like it is asleep being the eyes look nearly closed. Picture above is of a Big bear, notice the hanging belly and the small looking eye's. That one is in the 400 lb range.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  6. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

Everyone has different opinions as to what "Big" is. The original poster felt his pictures were of a large bear. You may feel that a 160" deer is "big" but maybe I no longer happen to think so.

That said, I'd be willing to make a wager that I've saw more "BIG" bear in my yard and on my porch in Letcher County than the total quantity of KY bear you've actually seen in person.

Munson and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Letcher co., has had bear over there, for a long time.Should be some dandies if a feller was looking,they can stay over there too,as far as I’m concerned

8. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    It's amazing how the numbers of bear in Letcher County has exploded in the last 8-10 years! Simply amazing!! But when a sow is having 3 and sometimes 4 cubs at a time, it doesn't take long for a huge population increase.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Your missing out on making some serious money if you got that many bears running around your yard. Should look into becoming a guide. I bet several here would pay decent money to kill a Ky bear. And FWIW we don't have but the pass thru bear around here and I have never encountered one in Muhlenberg county. I remember when everyone over your way hated the Elk but that seem to have gone away. Now it is bears everyone hates until they find a way to make money off them.

10. danf26

danf26 6 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    our state does not have a seson long enough. i saw a guide advertising 1500 for five day hunt, what is he gonna do when season closes the first day. 10 bear limit for the whole state, that is a joke. with the population we have here they need at least couple hundred taken each year at the minimum

11. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I would be willing to pay some to come kill one, I’ve done killed my buck so I’ve been looking into it, if anyone on here that don’t hunt them their self wants a bear off their property plz pm me

12. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

I tell you what, "IF" KDFW would have a 2 day season in Letcher County during late August or Early Sept for bear when they are active, I'd be more than willing to furnish over 1000 acres of property and be the official guide!! Not just that, I could sweeten the pot, there are so many bear in Letcher County I could Guarantee a rifle shot!!

Nock likes this.
  13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

It may in the future become a longer season when those in charge determine there is enough bear to warrant it. Just think how long was the first Elk season and look where it has gone in a few short years.

14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I hope they open up season so y’all can kill them to keep them from spreading this way.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Just a guess on my part but watch. When the population gets large enough for a longer season or the quota numbers go up watch KDFW come up with a draw you have to put in for to get a bear tag. Just like the road the elk deal has gone down. You will see those outfitters pop up over east selling bear hunts when/if that happens and the unlucky hunters will just be making another donation to the state.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.