Think I’ll give bear hunting a try this year.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by basshunter9239, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Looks like the new 35,000 public access acres except for that in McCreary county will be open for bear hunting.

2. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Rumor has it that someone killed a BIG bear (out of season of course) about 1 mile from that pic. I never saw or heard about that one after that month....Nov. 09 prior to the first official bear hunt in KY.

3. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    I would love to have a fair chance to bear hunt on my property. But, a one day hunt is not worth the effort.

Capttrae likes this.
  4. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    If one day was all I had I would be ok with that more of a chance than I’ve ever had

Capttrae likes this.
  5. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    However, in order for me to do that I would have to give up feeding deer on my property for most of the deer season. Then I would have to compete against all the corn on nearby property. It just doesn't work (legally ;)). I'll get more involved in this discussion next year.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

That's a shame he would have made someone a darn nice trophy rug and quite a few pounds of meat.

7. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    On the other side of the coin, with him being dead it may save someone's:

Trash from being scattered.
    Feeder from being wrecked.
    Camera from being destroyed.
    Gas grill from being ruined.
    A 80 year old mans Bee Hives from being a meal.

I'd rather have one of Crystal Gayles hairs in my soup beans than a bear in my yard!

Dark Cloud and Arrow Slinger like this.
  8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

For someone who hates bears so much you sure seem to want to protect them. In this thread you have had a offer to trade a bear hunt for a deer hunt in a zone 1 county. Another poster offered to pay to hunt bears over your way. I remember fences being torn down livestock getting loose, crops being ate, worry about animal vehicle issues not that long ago. Remember what animal that was ? You live in bear country now may as well get used to it just like the hated Elk from not that long ago.

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Bears make me fear for my life and property.

Feedman, Nock and Dark Cloud like this.
  10. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    RB isn't that old! :) But, he's getting close....I need to go see him.

I just want a reasonable chance to legally harvest a bear on my hunting property.

11. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    This bear,and the sow with 2 cubs that my neighbor has pictures of has me carrying my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag. When I’m out bow hunting!

barney likes this.
  12. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

Last Elk I saw was the one my buddy killed a few years ago, numbers are way, way down, we just don't see Elk anymore. Whether thats because KDFW is trading them off or property owners took matters into their own hands I can't answer.

As far as bear hunting on my property, if you'd actually read all the comments you would have seen I posted I would allow hunters on my property if KDFW had a "summer" season when the bear are active instead of in winter.

Invited a buddy up to bear hunt from Lexington the first or second year a rifle season opened for them. It snowed so much I couldn't even get my Side by Side up to the property, he wasted a trip.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Since they open a season on them other than the year it snowed so much (I remember that) have they not reached the quota they set for kill's ? So you invited one guy to come hunt in all the time a season has been in place and it was bad weather that caused his trip to be a bust. That happens can't control mother nature. I don't see a summer season ever being put in place for the public.
    As to your complaints.
    Bear proof garbage stations, they have them in places like the Smokey Mountains and they seem to work. Your just inviting trouble by setting cans out in the open.
    Bears tearing up bee hives, a electric fence around the hives works wonders.
    Feeders and Cameras can't help you on that one. Other than make them as bear proof as possible. Around here we have to worry about 2 leg bears and cameras, stands and feeders.
    Gas Grills destroyed, just got to clean them up after use or put them away in a safe spot.

14. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Spike

Aug 21, 2007
    Richmond, Ky
    It still blows my mind that some people can't accept they live in bear country. I was born and raised in Harlan County, and my mom still lives there. There are bears all over the place, and everyone posts stuff to facebook daily that the bears tore up or whatever. They will complain that SOMEONE needs to do SOMETHING about the bears!

Well, the bears haven't torn up my mom's garbage (bear-proof bin), they haven't destroyed her grill or smoker (put back in the building after use), they haven't torn up her screen doors (automatic lights), messed with her plants or fish (tiny electric fence).

What needs to happen is not "someone coming in and fixing the problem", these people just need to realize they live in bear country and THEY have to change some things.

15. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Congratulations to your mother on her successful bear proofing tactics, maybe I can hire her to bear proof my hang on tree stands that for some reason bear love to eat the seats out of. :)

The only "SOMETHING" I want "SOMEONE" to do is offer a more liberal bear season when bear are active, allow us to harvest some of these problem bear. It's can NOT be denied that Numbers are exploding, I saw 2 this morning on my way from Whitesburg to Corbin.

thunderstorm likes this.