This is the biggest female python ever captured in the Everglades' Big Cypress, researchers say

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by EC, Apr 8, 2019.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    If they put a dollar bounty on every python killed in FL, there wouldn't be any left. They'd rather funnel millions of dollars to their chemical and drug pals for their ineffective 'birth control' instead.

=============================

This is the biggest female python ever captured in the Everglades' Big Cypress, researchers say

By Howard Cohen, The Miami Herald
    1 day ago

[​IMG]© Provided by Local News RSS EN-US A team of four researchers stood apart from one another, arms outstretched, clutching a giant python, and it takes a wide-angle lens just to capture the length of the beast they found in Big Cypress National Preserve in Florida’s Everglades.

The group posted the image to the Big Cypress Facebook page Friday and are calling the catch a record.

The female python was over 17 feet long, weighed 140 pounds, and contained 73 developing eggs. That would make her longer, end-to-end, than a one-story building or a five-meter diving platform.

“She is the largest python ever removed from Big Cypress National Preserve — and she was caught because of research and a new approach to finding pythons,” the environmental group said.

Radio transmitting pythons

The researchers caught this behemoth by using male pythons equipped with radio transmitters, which, they say, “allows the team to track the male to locate breeding females.”

The goal is to remove the invasive snakes and to also collect data for research that will help Big Cypress develop new removal tools and learn the pythons’ habits.

“All of the python work at Big Cypress is focused on controlling this invasive species, which poses significant threats to native wildlife,” the group said on its Facebook post.

Previous python record

In December 2017, Florida snake hunters made a then-record setting catch in the Everglades when python hunter Jason Leon captured a 17-foot Burmese python at Big Cypress. The South Florida Water Management District said that female measured 17 feet, 1 inch long and weighed 132 pounds.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...glades-big-cypress-researchers-say/ar-BBVGEnb

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Death by fire!!

ojibwa62 and Dark Cloud like this.
  3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    they need to track down every person who turned an invasive species loose in FL and lock them up........ with snakes!

EdLongshanks likes this.
  4. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I think a lot of it was because of hurricanes wiping out the houses where people kept these "pets".

xbokilla and ojibwa62 like this.
  5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Thats possible, but Florida is the prefect habitat for all the snakes , lizards, fish , plants and animals that are now plaguing south Fl..
    I have also read some articles that say the large snakes could spread as far as AL,GA MS , LA and TX..

6. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I have no doubt about that. They'll have the perfect habitat for that. Which is why they ought to put a bounty on them. In 10 years, they'll be eradicated.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

That's a bunch of boots right there. I don't know if a bounty would even work given the area they populate. I understand they are pretty much like hogs and just keep making baby snakes. On the spread of critters just look around at some that have shown up in Kentucky even that were never heard of not 20 years ago. A alligator in western Ky not long ago that they say might have hitched a ride on a barge up the Mississippi is one that comes to mind. Only thing we have going for us it some winter weather.

8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    every invasive fish, reptile and animal should have a bounty.. I know a few states have bounties on snake-head fish already..

EdLongshanks likes this.
  9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Exactly. No brainer.

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    This is true but doing nothing should not be an option.
    I lived in GA 30+ years and we had fire ants there, I hope it is to cold this far north that they don't spread but I wouldn't count on it, over time plants and animals cant evolve or adapt to different environments.

11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
  12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    potential spread of snakes.. 080223111456_1_540x360.jpg

13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003