Tick & Chigger Spray

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by KY Swamp Beagler, Apr 4, 2019.

1. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I like this guy’s channel. He goes into farm store permethrin spray doseages in detail here and discusses petroleum and water based products.

Be ready for the ticks are upon us and waiting...

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That stuff is the real deal,i ordered the water based one ,at tractor supply,had it shipped to the store last year.They only kept the oil base stocked at our TS.I keep a spray bottle mixed up.I also use it in a garden sprayer ,to spray my dog houses and everywhere they lay.I usually take a small vial straight from the bottle ,and run it down their backs.I hung my hunting clothes up ,and sprayed them down,it’s suppose to last several washing’s .I can’t say that works ,I didn’t get to try it ,last year.I forgot to mention ,I don’t think you can use this on cats

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    barney likes this.
  3. woodsman92

woodsman92 Fawn

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    im gonna have to get some of that this year and try it. I have known a few people in the past year to get the red meat allergy and that has really got my attention. Life without red meat does not sound pleasant!

4. I have used the Sawyers (permythrin) on my outer hunting clothes for two years now. It works most of the time. Spray and let dry. Do not spray on your body. It will make you sick. I am not sure I would put it on my dogs either for the same reason. This stuff works but I also put deep woods high deet off on my skin as an extra layer of protection. I find that if I put a lot of the permythrin on my closes that I get a tingling sensation on my skin. If I spray it only lightly the protection is less than 100%. This is a trade off.

There are places in Rowan Co that are infested with Turkey mites and them !@#$%ing things are he!! if you get more than two or three of them on you. About 4 yr ago I got about 100 of them on my legs and other spots up as high as my waist. OMG - I could not sleep for two weeks and nothing made the itching stop. Since then my Dr gave me a ointment to put on the bites when I get one that helps. I have also found that Biofreeze spray will stop the itching for a while and give you enough relief to sleep some. Even with the permythrin spray, I still sometimes get 2 or 3 bites from these little devils when I am hunting early season like August/Sept squirrel season up until first frost. Morehead area is the only place I have ever encountered these. Maybe this is why the Indians refused to make permanent settlements in KY?? I have friends in the forestry dept who get into them often and use the permythrin on everything. Just remember this stuff is poison. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Just sayin.

PUBLIC RAT likes this.
  5. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 6 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    Like he said, let it dry before wearing your clothes. A couple times I wore clothes when the spray wasn't dry, very uncomfortable, feels like a hot match to skin. Lesson learned.

6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    LBL was the first place I ever encountered "seed ticks", back in the late 80s. They sold Permethrin (under trade name Permanone from memory) for $5 a can at the Golden Pond visitors center. For squirrel hunting, we've always sprayed down (boots/shoes, pant legs, waistband, squirrel vest) at the truck before entering the woods...…...REPEAT every time you enter the woods. Never had a problem with the critters following this method. I wouldn't spray my clothes the day before and let dry and enter those woods on a bet !! Now they are statewide, so I carry a can in the truck for spring turkey season as well. I will spray down each time I enter the woods. I will also say I've never encountered any burning sensation.

7. Everyone is different. I have found that the stuff continues to work fairly well until you wash them as long as you used enough in the first place. After that will need to be reapplied. It is a life saver where those lil MoFo's live.

8. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    We used to use stuff when i was in military in a yellow can. That stuff worked good. It was a highly concentrated dose of deet I think. We use to trod all over eastern Ky cutting dope and it worked good. We use to call it yellow can of cancer.