Tiller motor locked up

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by drakeshooter, Mar 8, 2009.

1. I drug out the rear tine Husky tiller yesterday afternoon and tilled for about an hour or so. I noticed the motor starting to really struggle and I shut it down. When I went to restart it, the pull rope wouldn't budge an inch. I meant to change out the oil from last year, but just topped it off and it is still full. I wonder if the engine is toast or if there is a way to unseize it. I also wonder how much damage it took, like a bent rod. Any suggestions or am I screwed. I realize it is awfully hard to diagnose something like this over the internet, but all I really want is some input here. Thanks in advance.

2. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    It can definitely be unstuck, but with as cheap as new engines are, you're probably just as well off to buy a new or rebuilt one. I seriously doubt it's completely seized from you forgetting to change the oil.

3. treerat

treerat 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Hickory KY
    if i remember right it has the briggs on it,,,westky is right,,,if you can't get it unseized then the motors are pretty cheap,,should be able to find a good used one,,,,,,,we bought a new troy built last year,,,,it was big enough for us and paid 700 for it,,,but we bought it out of season,,we got them to knock off some money,,,was equal to the sales tax,,,,,ooopsss almost forgot,,,,,,,stand the tiller up to where the plug is straight up,,,,take the plug out,,,,fill the cylinder full of oil,,,cover the plug hole so nothing can get in it,,,,let it sit over night,,,go back and fill the cylinder again and let it sit,,,,that should free it up,,

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  4. Thanks guys, more tips welcome. My buddy wanted me to do that oil in the spark plug thing last night, but I was leery.

5. peckprice

peckprice 6 pointer

Feb 7, 2005
    Manchester, KY
    Take the pull rope housing completely off, then take your plug out. Taking the plug out will decrease the compression. See if you can turn the flywheel with your hands. This will let you know if it is really locked up. If it had oil in it, it shouldn't have locked up. I am assuming it has a Briggs engine on it. The problem with them locking up is that the rings seize to the cylinder walls and ruin them. Determine if it is locked up first, then go from there.

6. It is a Briggs. If it is seized I guess I'll get a new motor. I just replaced the carb last year and that little booger was $178!:eek:

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Could it be a belt/chain/pully, seized up preventing the motor from turning? If its the motor, it could have a mouse's nest blocking air flow, causing it to over heat and seize. Just not like a motor full of oil to do that.

8. Bronco90

Bronco90 6 pointer

Sep 30, 2004
    Butler Co. Ky, USA.
    Check the starter clutch,(the part that inguages the flywheel when you pull the rope) I had one come apart on my B&S 5.0hp tiller last year and it shut the motor down and it was hung up. I got a new one for $8, it did mess the screen up a little but I fixed it with a hammer.

9. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    I've had good luck spraying a big load of WD 40 in the spark plug hole. Let it sit overnight. Remove the recoil cover and take a strong-arm with a socket the size of the nut that retains the flywheel. Rotate the crank using the strong arm. You might have to go back-and-forth at first but you'll eventually get her free. While your doing this, a few more shots of WD 40 might help.

When you get it free, squirt a teaspoon of motor oil into the cylinder, change the oil and put in a new plug. Run it for about half an hour and change the oil again to get all of the gunk that was sticking your piston before out of your crankcase.

10. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Sounds like when you replaced the carb you may have set the fuel to lean for the motor thus causing it to run hot........So if you do get it unstuck you might want to recheck your air/fuel adjustments..........

11. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    That's one nice thing about Murray. No shortage of folks arround there that know how to work on a Briggs engine!

There is (was) a guy by Coldwater on the left hand side of 121 going towards Mayfield that always has a bunch of mowers in his front yard. He's got a shop in the back FULL of rebuilt motors. Go check with him and see what he won't do for you. In the past, I've taken him a broken mower and he gave me a "trade-in" value on one he had fixed.

12. I was tilling less than 3 miles from that shop. I'll check into it.

13. ditchdigger

ditchdigger 8 pointer

Jul 23, 2007
    think it might turn loose when it cools?

14. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    max hit on a key point.......

one thing you changed was the carb, it could be to lean.

something definitely has to be wrong if it's full of oil

15. Well, after soaking all night in some WD, It turned righ over with a socket wrench. When we put the starter rope back on and pull it to turn it over it isn't even trying to start, but seems to have good compression. We checked the spark on the plug and it looked good.