Timber rattlesnake

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by ky_coal_miner, Jun 29, 2017.

1. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I ran over one several years ago when I was volunteering with the RMEF building an elk viewing platform at Paul Van Booven WMA.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    There were plenty of them where I grew up. copperheads also

3. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Clay County is full of those things.
    Couple years ago I was traveling the highway between Barboursville and Manchester. I killed one about the color of that one but only about 3 feet long crossing the highway. Then I drove down the highway a couple miles and dammed if there wasn't another one just like it. Killed it also.
    I Hate Snakes too.
    AND yeah, they scare the crap outta me.
    Barney, you are a Bad Man.

barney likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    'Nother story..

Me and a friend stopped at a little recently opened poolhall back around the mid 80's to see what was going on. We went in and played a game or 2, just having fun. The owner of the joint noticed we were new faces, so he came up and played with us getting chatty, and asking all kinds of questions. Where you boys from? Ever play for money? We told him where we were from, and didn't really do any gambling. He then asked what do you do for a living? I instantly burst out, we catch rattlesnakes for a living! The owner then howled in laughter, calling to the other customers- these boy's catch rattlesnakes for a living! The whole place erupted in laughter.. it kinda embarrassed me. As me and my friend were leaving, the owner hollered at us and said, bring one of them Rattlers by here sometime, I want to see one...;)

The next morning, I headed out to some prime snake huntin' territory up around cliffs in the next county over. It didn't take long before I walked upon the purdyest yaller snake I'd ever laid my eyes on, sunning on a ledge at about 10 am! The snake looked like gold, and had a black velvet tail that shinned in the sun like nothing I had ever saw! About 3 1/2 feet long.

I quickly caught it, and put it in a 5 gallon bucket, snapped the lid on the bucket, and headed straight to the poolhall! When I got there I grabbed the bucket and headed straight into the crowded joint and set the lidded bucket in the middle of the room between two pool tables. The owner came straight to me and said, "what's this?" I said it's the rattler you wanted to see! He said you don't have a snake in the bucket. I then bent over and grabbed the lid on the bucket and started pulling it off. He stopped me, saying you crazy sob, you might just have one in there, take it out to the parking lot..

I headed to the parking lot along with the owner, while everyone else in the place, at least, 10 to 15 people followed behind. I set the bucket down in the parking lot and removed the lid, the snake was coiled up in the bottom of the bucket as purdy as could be. The owner and the customers had formed a circle around me about 10 yards back, stretching their necks trying to see in the bucket. At that point I kicked the bucket to try to get the snake to rattle, to no avail. I kicked it again, nothing.. by then the circle of people began to slowly encroach on me and the bucket with necks stretching to peep in. Just about the time the circle of people were close enough to see the bottom of the bucket, out of the blue, that darn rattler came to it senses, and lept straight up on it tail and like a flash was out of the bucket and on the parking lot headed towards home! There was quite a bit of car hood damage that ensued at that point, and I swear I heard girls screaming, even though I don't remember any girl's being there. Everyone remained speechless on top of their cars as I caught my snake, put it back in my bucket and left to never return..:)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    FOWLER2671, bondhu, nock and 3 others like this.
  5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don't got no reason to doubt your word there Barney ,but that's a great story ,but now I just don't want no snakes around me whether in a bucket ,or anywhere unless they're dead.I sure wouldn't catch one

barney likes this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I have a bunch of snake stories.

I once stumbled upon a nice rattler unexpectedly. I didn't have anything to put it in once I got back to the truck, so I tied it in the back of the truck with a hay string.

I was low on gas when I left the woods, so I pulled into the first service station I came upon..This was back when gas stations were full service. I pulled up to the pumps, and this YUGE, greasy hulk of a man emerged from the garage and said "how much gas bud"?. I told him give me 5 bucks worth of regular. The guy started pumping the gas and proceeded to lean on my truck with his arm resting on the bed. I leaned out the window and said-- Hey, don't be leaning on my truck. The guy turned around real slow, and gave me one of the meanest looks I ever saw. I thought for a second he was gonna drag me out of truck beat me! I quickly explained the reason he shouldn't be leaning on my truck. Once he peeked over in the bed, he fell back against the pumps breathless. I had to finish pumping the gas, and then go find him to pay him!:)

FOWLER2671, bondhu, Begs08 and 3 others like this.