To heck with the flat top stove, I'm going back to using all my old cast iron!

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Lady Hunter, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    And buying more!

If the stove dies, it dies.

We were told when it was installed to not use cast iron on it under any circumstances so for years, all of my old cast iron has sat in the basement... NOT ANYMORE!!!!!!!

I pulled it all out, cleaned it, made sure it was still seasoned, and have been cooking away. Even went out & bought another small skillet, a grill pan, and a loaf pan to use in the oven. Everything cooks so much better in cast iron that it does in other types of pans...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gooch, Powerstro284, barney and 4 others like this.
  2. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    8C6876F5-163F-4ABE-A290-44D58B0712D5.jpeg
    I use cast all the time on ours. Never heard that your not supposed to. What was there reasoning for it? What is that in the bottom pic with the mushrooms? Low carb pizza?

barney and Lady Hunter like this.
  3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    All I know is what we were told when it was installed. The guy told us over & over & over that it would destroy the stove. At this point, I just don't care.... Can always get a new stove. Been wanting a gas stove anyway!!! lol!

That bottom pic is venison meatloaf in a mushroom/dill sauce. No one in the family will touch meatloaf in the traditional tomato sauce but they'll go to town if I douse it up good with mushrooms & dill!

mudhole crossing likes this.
  4. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    We use propane gas to heat with so we cook with it too. Wife burns everything on electric stove. Give us a cast iron anything to cook on always.

barney, Dark Cloud and Lady Hunter like this.
  5. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    The only real danger I could see would be dropping it and cracking the top.
    My daughter actually melted an aluminum pan on our glass stove. Part of the stove top melted as well.
    Still using it but, it does have a small divit.

6. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    That’s the only thing I could think of as well.

7. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 8 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    The weight of cast iron can scratch/crack the top, but we use cast iron on ours as well. Supposedly its fine unless you drop the pan on the stove or do a lot sautéing where you shake the pan while its on the cooktop. Avoid those two things and you should be good to go.

8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Good seasoned cast iron is better and even healthier than Teflon. Grandma knew it first and knew what she was talking about!

Actually been thinking of getting more than we have (which is a couple of heir-loom skillets).

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I have used my cast irons on a glass top stove for years. Who cares what they say. I refuse to abide.

10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    This guy seems pretty decent...

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  11. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Mushrooms and dill sauce on a meatloaf.o_O ummmm:cool: really

12. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    I cook with cast iron on a glass top stove. Just have to be careful and don't drop or scoot the pan on the surface. Cast iron is the only way to go.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  13. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    That is all I use and I have had a glass top for ten years or so. Havent cracked it yet. Use big pots and had them loaded. I have dropped a few kinda hard and was surprised it didn’t break. I would not worry.

14. WETWADERS

WETWADERS 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Woodford Co., Ky
    My MIL has been collecting Griswold and Wagner cookware for 60+ years. I could tell her I was wanting to fry a turdburger, and guaranteed she would show up five minutes later with an armload of turdburger skillets. She says she is only missing one style of Griswold, and is now thinking it may not have even existed. Those old skillets are awesome! Anyway, the Mrs. is putting off buying a new stove till we can get gas run, because she's heard you can't run a canner of an electric flat top. Anybody heard that before, or have experience canning on a flat top?

15. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I run a canner on mine. Works just fine. I bet they are worried if water gets spilled on it it may break or something