Toms

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Mar 15, 2017.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    What's the most toms you've seen in one flock?

2. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky

Attached Files:

3. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I drove up the holler and there was a flock of 19 gobblers. In the excitement, I forgot to take a pic of them. 31 gobblers within 300 yards. That's crazy!!! Never seen that before.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Fall or Spring??

Fall.... from a deer stand I counted 14 swinging beards once several years ago on our place. It was one of those super acorn years and they were combing the ridges like vacuum cleaners.

Spring.... remember calling up a group of 4 toms and 6 jakes. The mature toms came in a cluster to my decoys but the jakes were like sentries. Following maybe 20 yards behind and spread out across our food plot. Which not unusual by any means concerning number of birds but just an odd sight seeing the formation like that.

Toms moved.. jakes moved.... toms stopped jakes stopped. Looked like a well oiled military detachment.... and have never witnessed anything like that again.

5. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    This was yesterday and today

6. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    If this is any indication that they are breeding, I'd say it's several weeks off. However about 2 weeks ago I saw a flock of 30+ with 6 long beards strutting. So, who knows lol. But the most toms I've seen in season was 4. I called up 4 hens with 4 toms in tow.

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Have no doubt being the 15th of March some breeding is occurring in some places across Ky.

Which here around home going to & from work.... I started noticing some of the flocks busting up about 3 weeks ago. Saw strutters with hens twice last week. Seems pretty much about the norm for us.

I'd say in about 2 weeks things will ramp up significantly for most places.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I have seen groups or 20 or 30. Bout it as far as just toms. I have some trail cams pics somewhere with that many as well. I have seen groups of hens that you had a hard time even counting though.
    An when it comes to jakes strangely the most i think i have ever seen is about 10 in one group. Did have a group of 5 roll up on me a couple of springs ago strutting there brains out but they were all jakes. On my places they seem to gather up just enough to gang up on the toms when they choose too. Them jakes can sure put on a show too.

9. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    2nd year of Ky turkey season walked out a ridge were an old farm house was. Didnt see any turkeys. Set out a hen decoy that I had lost one section of the stake so I had a dowel rod for a stake . Good tree for a mid mornin nap. Gun layin on the ground. Cut and yelped. Pulled down my hat. Yawned and yelped again. Out to my right comes 8 jakes runnin at me like that Tasmania devil after them . They get around my decoy and start fightin like they were a bunch of green legged game cocks. purrin ,spurrin, and wrapping there necks around one another . Gun still at my side. When out to the right 4 longbeards come wobblin in. They start fightin with jakes. jakes back up, long beards start eyein each other around my decoy. Well I guess one of them thought that decoy was sneakin up on him. He jumped turned and spurred my decoy. Well the decoy flys up in the air, causing the jakes to flush. I retrieve gun as the gobblers are trying to fly. 2 shots and one longbeard falls from the air. After collecting myself and turkey all I could do was laugh.Turkey huntin will never be the same as those 1st 2 years.

10. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Last spring on a draw hunt my wife and I had 4 jakes and 5 long beards come to our decoys at the same time. The jakes left a soon as the gobblers showed up. Most male birds at one time for us. We waited forever for them to separate before she could shoot.

11. Randy1974

Randy1974 Spike

Apr 12, 2016
    Checked trail camera today been out for a week had pictures of 5 Jake's that's it no hens no golblers 4 of the 7 days don't know what to think about that cold and snow here in ohio

12. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    10. We have had a formation of young gobblers that has cropped up several times over the years. I call them The Gay Turkey Herd. They seem to form up that way as Jakes and then the Herd lasts until the last one disappears in the 3rd or 4th year. These gobblers seem to only have eyes for each other. As juveniles, they'll walk line-abreast through the pastures. After the first winter, they will strut for each other and will not suffer a hen in their side of the pasture. I don't know if they're dying or just moving on. However, they're down to about half-strength by the second fall, and there's only 2-4 left by the next spring. This has happened 3 times now in 16 years. It seems to be a consequence of an overly large surviving cohort.

One March morning, I was out observing and they showed up right there in front of me. I was in nothing more than a barn coat and brown Carharts, but they came up and started strutting right in front of me. I had a stainless thermos of coffee with me. I had just poured a cup when they arrived. I could not move, so the coffee went cold in my hand. For a considerable amount of time they gathered around me and strutted--all these gay 2 year olds. It was absolutely stunning to have so many birds just a few feet away.

13. Randy1974

Randy1974 Spike

Apr 12, 2016
    I have 3 cameras out at 3 different places 2 of the 3 I'm getting flocks still together gobblers are struting. Then I got this other place with 5 Jake's nothing else thought maybe they had got Run off ( I don't know what they are doing and I don't think they know what there doing)

14. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I hope they act normal by April 1 for youth season. I got an 8 yr old itching to go. We got a cabin back there where we are hunting. We taking sausage, eggs and biscuits to fix after the morning hunt. He may be more excited about the cooking than the hunt. I will post pics when the time comes of the setup and the cabin.

bondhu likes this.
  15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Seeing gobblers with the hills around here.