Trail cam reviews

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bluegrassDan, Sep 5, 2018.

1. bluegrassDan

bluegrassDan Fawn

Dec 17, 2008
    I have looked and looked and read more reviews about trail cams than I can stand and still don't really trust the online reviews much. Like any other product, a lot of the "review" websites are populated by industry product managers writing reviews that push their product and try to negate the real negative reviews by flooding the site with better reviews. So, my question to you guys is this- what real world, honest experience do you have with trail cams for under $100? Which would you recommend or avoid? I am buying three cameras, yes it kinda late in the year but gotta start sometime right. I don't care about video, just clear pictures, black and white, color, no matter. I have 16gb SD cards already. The two I have are older stealthcam models from 2007 and they stopped working this year.
    Any hep would be appreciated.

2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I've got about every brand out there, but when I think about the lower end model cameras I have in the field I have not been disappointed yet with a couple midgrade wild game cameras they are easy to set up and take good video, now I say mid grade not the $40 crappers you get from Wally World, I also like the couple Moultrie a-30s I have, again easy to set up and take good videos, it seems like all of the $120 plus cameras I use are just so damn difficult to set up so I let my tech savvy woman operate all those cameras I don't even touch them afraid that we will lose two weeks of footage if I don't press the right button or something, i'll be honest if I caught any brand camera on a good sale I would buy it. I think they're all about the same damn thing when you're looking at the hundred dollar and under range. also don't be afraid to hit up customer service I have had buddies give me the cameras that stop working on them that they were going to throw away I spent 15 minutes on the phone pay shipping and handling and get a brand new replacement camera even though they're out of warranty heck I sent back a four-year-old stealth cam last month and got a replacement of the same version that actually worked

My advice to you would be a hit up all the local Walmarts and asked him to check under the counter for clearance cameras or check your local tractor supplies for clearance cameras maybe go to a occasional pawnshop see if you can talk them down, last week I bought it browning strikeforce 5 for $30 at a pawnshop it had a broken Doorlatch got on the phone with browning they're sending me a new latch for $3.99 that's $120 camera for cheap

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Ninja GLP likes this.
  3. bluegrassDan

bluegrassDan Fawn

Dec 17, 2008
    I think you hit on something there...off to the stores I go. I just dont want to waste $150 or better buying junk that works for a hot second and then has to be replaced. Not that a dollar figure determines quality, but I have learned that you get what you pay for most times.

4. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    All of the high dollar cameras I own we're lucky clearance finds, I would never spend $150+ for a trail cam but if it's on sale for 75 that makes me rethink things, you can get high dollar cameras for mid grade camera prices, I have bought a lot of 12MP and 14mp cameras which I consider mid grade for less pthan 50 bucks, I am not brand loyal by any means when it comes to a good deal

that being said, this isnt necessarily the best time of year for dramatic markdowns but you never know unless you look

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  5. BowHunter20

BowHunter20 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2014
    Ohio
    I have tried all the brands on the market at some time or another over the last 10 years with varying results. I have stuck with Covert over the last 5 years because they seem to be the best camera I have run across. You can get the mp-8 series for right around $100. Best battery life bar none (this means the most to me, I hate going to check my camera and the batteries have died), good quality pics, and reliable customer service.

6. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I am running four Tasco cameras right now. 28 dollars a piece. Up to this year i have used Cuddeback and been more than displeased with their latest offerings as they are the glitchiest gadgets I have ever used. At least with these cheap Tascos I can't really be disappointed. If they last a year I will have gotten better customer satisfaction than I did with High dollar cameras that perform like trash..

As far as the Tascos go, they take great still shots in daylight. The night shots tend to be a little washed out but i can still tell what species it is and if it has antlers or not. That is a sight better than the Cuddeback night pics or sometimes the day pics for that matter.
    I have yet to try the video but will switch some over next time i swap cards out. I still have one Cuddeback out and it takes good video. Time will tell if the Tasco performs or is junk. I don't expect too much out of it but the bar isn't very high either.

tasaman likes this.
  7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Having had several cameras stolen from me in the past, money is always something I take into consideration when buying a camera. I also want it to be decent. Now I know a lot of people hate on wild game innovations but I have had rather good success with them over the past 5-6 years. I usually catch them on sale from the 80-90 dollar range down to between 50-60 dollars and purchase. usually get a decent 8-10 megapixel cam that takes good daytime photos and fairly good night time photos. They have slow triggers so some type of attractant is a must if you want to study the pics any. I usually get 2-4 years out of said cameras before they crap out or get stolen and if they do get stolen I am not terribly upset as its not a great deal of money. Historically with these cameras and good batteries I can take 1000-1500 pics a week from July til I take them down after I kill out with no issues. Usually mid to late October when that happens.

8. tasaman

tasaman 6 pointer

Aug 10, 2009
    Woodlawn, TN
    I started last year with the Tascos. Now that I have 4 and can use them to locate/pattern bucks I am looking at some better cams. I read a lot just like you. Some seem to have a high failure rate like Wildgame and primos. Others just too expensive. I’m down to 3 brands. Browning, Moultrie and Covert. All in the $150 range. More than I paid for my first 4 total. Anyways I like the M50i and the Strike Force Pro so far. Hope to catch a sale early but I’ll probably buy on Black Friday.

9. bigbonner

bigbonner 8 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have been looking at the Covert Black Maverick. I need one totally black flash with video and sound for my barn security .
    Does anyone have one to give a review on?

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    You’ll get a million different opinions about cameras. Buy one and go for it. They are getting cheaper since they are everywhere now. Those $28 Tascos from Wally World were $60 cameras just a few years ago. It’s technology, it’s hit and miss, and will be outdated as soon as you buy it. If you can get 2-3 years from a cheapo that beats the heck out of paying $300 +. I’ve got Bushell, Covert, Wildgame and first cams I ever bought were Flash Moultrie. They still take great day pics.

muddhunter likes this.
  11. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville

This is drunk Mudd hunter talking but the way I look at it, you aren’t framing these pics for future generations. You are taking a survey of what is on your property and enjoying the game of catching pics of stuff you wouldn’t normally see. Use a cheap camera that may work or may not and enjoy having five cameras working for you vs one for the price. In my opinion even a crappy cam that takes pics when it should is better than the 35 mm pics that we were getting 15 years ago.

Weller 12 years aged.

elkaholic, Ataulbe1 and xbokilla like this.
  12. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Cheers Mudd. Ill only add that my pic count especially bucks went up a noticeable amount when I switched to the black flash ir cams.
    Not this year tho..damn ehd!!

13. Flash5150

Flash5150 Spike

Nov 30, 2006
    I bought three of the Primos Bulletproof cameras at Cabelas around Christmas for $25 each. I had zero expectations for them and put the first one out recently. After only one week I must say it takes pretty darn good pics. It takes a few steps with an SD card and a computer when first setting up, but after that it is as simple as moving the switch to picture or video. I noticed Walmart sells the new model bulletproof for $68.

14. bigbonner

bigbonner 8 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Does any of the L Cheapo's have the black flash that thieves can not see ?

15. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    There might be but I don't know specific brand all the cheap ones I bought for house and shed security have the red glow, I took an extension ladder and hung them well out of reach and kind of like the fact of the red glow myself that way they know they've been caught and leave quickly

elkaholic likes this.