Triticale food plot

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Fur Feather, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    Has anybody ever tried this stuff. It's a hybrid of winter wheat and rye. I'm trying it for the 1st time this year. Planted it Sunday, nice rain Monday with Harvey rain coming this weekend.
    This mix is called Falcone Wildlife Mixture. It contains Triticale, Hairy Vetch, Rapeseed, Oats, Radish, Turnips and Winter Peas. Anybody familiar with this mix?

2. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    I planted some last year and planted some more this year. I didn't work the ground enough last year and it was spotty as best. Probably 1/4 of it worked out. This year I planted this mix, then some stand alone winter wheat and then some soybeans. All next to each other. Will be interested to see what they like the best. Below is the mixture and what % of each was in the bag. I planted 8.12. Below is a picture of it coming out of the ground this past weekend. Keep me posted on what your plot looks like and how the deer like it and I'll do the same.

IMG_5409 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5536 copy.jpg

3. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    That's exactly what I planted. Supposedly a special mix they only do at the Lexington SS. Have you heard that as well? Looking at your plot I would have thought the Triticale would be the 1st thing to pop up.

4. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    You are correct, only sold at Lexington Southern States. Matt Falcone came up with this, hence the name, and worked with the Lexington Southern States to make it available at their Sportsman Night Out event. Matt is Bayou Bluegrass Catering and owns Copper Roux. His food is awesome. Have known him for years. He is a big deer hunter and has planted this and been successful with it for years. The picture is a little deceptive as you cant see the tall spindly grass like stuff coming up which I assume is the triticale. Its there you just have to zoom in on a full res picture to see it.

5. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    Nice to know, thanks

6. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    The rains have been good. Not sure what is what but its growing good!
    IMG_5623 - Copy.JPG

7. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    That does look good. Mine needs another rain or 2 to come on out. Haven't seen a deer in it yet though. Hoping to see them soon. I think there is enough there for them to try.

8. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Last year I planted a Buck On Bag blend called 7 Card Stud. It had triticale in it. Deer seemed to like it pretty well.
    The way I understand it, rye grows in colder temps, and helps build your soil, wheat is generally thought of to taste better to deer. With triticale, you get the best of both worlds.
    There's a deer habitat guy in Michigan named Jake Ehlinger, I know he really likes triticale.

Good luck.

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    We planted triticale for our cows. They loved it.