turkey season needs to come in two weeks earlier.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by kycoalminer40, May 4, 2017.

1. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Most hunters are complaining of henned up gobblers now. If the warm weather got them started earlier, wouldn't all the hens be setting? Surely people realize that 2 years after summers with good hatches we not only have more gobblers, we have more hens. Another week in May would be great but I guess I couldn't benefit unless they also raised the season limit. GoodLuck to everyone trying to fill those tags, this weather sucks!

hollandhunter likes this.
  2. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I dont think opening season earlier is in anyones best intrest. Heck im still seeing birds henned up which is a first for me this late into spring. But anyway if you wanna see better seasons start hunting predators,follow the harvest number rules,and ensure turkeys on your places have food,water,and cover during the off season. An leavs the jakes and hens alone. They are our future of turkey hunting. Jmo.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've stated this many times... but I just wished we would set the opener to the second Saturday in April as a traditional date. The calendar shift would allow for some slightly earlier openers but also provide for mid April openers too.

I've always believed this would provide a better diversity of phase across the board from one end of the state to the other.

But it is what it is .. and honestly I'm more concerned about populations in general in my specific area. Been one of the toughest seasons I remember for me personally in a very long time. Reminds me of the years when we didn't have good populations to hunt.

4. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

This is going to sound crazy to some but I think the key to late season success in my area is cows. As fields grow up late turkeys seem to avoid these areas . Especially if it's wet. Cows keep the pastures eaten down and turkeys will gravitate to these areas in late season. Again, I'm for later not earlier and anyone concerned about a dwindling population should be also.

5. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    Moving season up probably wont matter. Birds start mating due to photo periods. They are not going to start just because of a warm up, when the days get a certain length, that is when breeding and courting start. Some will disagree and that is fine. Also though, weather cannot be predicted before season dates are set so you just have another variable to deal with. Been a pretty good year and seems lots of hens are on nest around us so this weekend may be solid

6. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Bring back the wendsday opening, I remember cold no tree buds and turkeys gobbling like crazy, was a rough year for me, not many birds to speak of on my places, definitely have had better seasons but that's the way it goes. Don't know what's killing them off but fewer than normal were I was hunting.

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I drove by my spot today and 3 big toms and a jake were strutting with 6 or so hens. This was at 1:30 this afternoon. You would have thought it was the first week of season by the looks of it. Wish I had a tag.

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Well it would be ok if they added a week to the season either front or end of the season. They could also add another bird an raise it up 3.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I think the limit is fine but would like a longer season since I only get a chance to be a weekend warrior. The length of season probably wouldn't bother me as much if I got to hunt through the week especially during that opening week. Someday when retirement comes calling I guess.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  10. kycoalminer40

kycoalminer40 Fawn

Apr 20, 2017
    harlan, ky
    I knew that people feel different about this issue, but if you want young hunters to keep hunting in todays world of computers and all this technology. young hunters have to have success. opening it up two weeks earlier. will be a benefit. tenn does it

11. Randy1974

Randy1974 Spike

Apr 12, 2016
    I agree and most people are worried about the hens not getting bred from what I have been told a hen only needs bred 1 time and she can lay a nest off that . Most of the breeding prob takes place in March what you see with toms now are Jenny's last year hatch and was told they don't breed still to young. Does anybody really know.

12. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Youth hunters can already hunt the first Sat and Sunday of April.

13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Well they could do a split season. Open it up for two weeks the first of April then close it for a week or two then open it back up for two or three weeks. They also need to raise the limit to three birds

Gooch likes this.
  14. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    My neck of the woods they need to lower it to one.

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That might work better. Open the season up fir a longer period starting the first of April but only have a one bird limit:eek::confused::)