turkey season needs to come in two weeks earlier.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by kycoalminer40, May 4, 2017.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Don't hunt as much as I use to,but it's worked good for me since the eighties.I usually work a few birds every year,kill one now and then.Hunted four days this year,called in five mature birds,and four jakes.I'm well pleased with the way it is.

2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I think it's good the way it is. No need to change. I think it's ultimately up to us as hunters to change our tactics to meet the conditions whether that be weather, time of year, or stage of breeding cycle. I'm just thankful for the birds we have, my physical health to even be able to hunt, and to God for being such and awesome creator.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  3. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Every time someone isn't as successful as they'd like we start hearing about how kdfwr should change things to suit them. I wonder if anyone has ever stopped to think maybe they should change tactics if things aren't going their way instead of crying there needs to be change to accomadate them. I punched my last tag last weekend and watched the bird I eventually killed all the way from fly down until he finally left his hens at 1:00 in the afternoon. Season is fine the way it is, if we push it forward anymore we would be jeopardizing the youth hunt being able to experience spring turkey hunting at its finest.

mudhole crossing, hitch and RLWEBB like this.
  4. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Take the computers and phones away from kids or limit their use of those things. They weren't born with them in their hands. The only thing that will cause young hunters to stop hunting is not having place to go. Not everyones parents can spend thousands on a lease or buy a farm just to hunt on or grew up with a family farm to go to. It wont be much longer until hunting Kentucky is either own land or hunt with an outfitter.

5. outdoor-addict

outdoor-addict 6 pointer

Jul 12, 2010
    I agree that access to hunting land is a major obstacle to the future and even to me now. People are much less likely to just give a person permission to hunt these days. I would like to see more programs similar to the ones in Wyoming for example to where the state, fish and wildlife, grants etc. pays the landowner so much to open up their property to public hunting. Not an unlimited amount of people but a set number of permission slips per farm in which you have to apply to obtain permission. Just a thought

6. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    the state could care less i think. I sent them a message on facebook about the outfitters taking over and how they preach get kids in the outdoors, but why bother when they won't have anywhere to hunt when they're not kids anymore? I said its bs that all they are worried about is money from non residents when we payed for the restoration of the deer, turkeys, and elk. They said money from non residents helped pay also but i seriously doubt we had that many non resident hunters before the deer and turkeys had a huntable population.

7. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I sorta have the attitude of the kids get crap handed to them as it is! Hell , no such thing as any sort of youth hunting days etc when I was learning.

No daddy holding my gun or youth turkey, deer and waterfowl. We dealt with the scraps and made the best of it.
    If turkey is at its finest on April 1st then let the bill payers experience it!

My interest in an earlier start has something to do with the growth of grass etc. By late April, the fields I have access to are overgrown enough that you can't see a bird walking across it.

8. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Again, why should F&W change season dates because the fields you hunt are taller than you like?

9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    AS the previous poster claimed that turkey hunting was at it's best on April 1st, then let the bill payers hunt them at the optimum time.

10. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    This stuff cracks me up! However i have long thought that a slight tweak of simply the second Saturday in April would probably be ok. The earliest it would come in would be the 8th. But if they never change the criterion im great with it. And as was mentioned, get a cold, snowy, lingering winter in March and some would complain they are henned up!

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just as they say,you can please some of the people ,some of the time,but you can't please all the people ,all the time.

12. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
    I'm with turk2di I wouldn't mind it being set second Saturday in April. But if it doesn't change I'll be fine too. I had a rough season in '16 I never killed and honestly had only one opportunity and this yr wasn't much different I did end up getting one bird though. But these two years have been the only two "hard or rough" years I've had since I started turkey hunting 6 years ago. Honestly this year I seen/heard more birds in there normal places the last 4-5 days of season and even a couple days after season than I did the whole season prior. But it's hunting it's not always supposed to be easy or it'd be called killing!

RLWEBB likes this.
  13. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I'm still seeing gobblers with hens everywhere when I drive to work. I think there's always gobblers henned up from march to end of May imo. U just have to be lucky and run up on one that's by himself or lucky enuff to be in the rt spot to bring that hen toting a tom. I like to stay on the move. I will work a turkey some but I'm not gonna spend 2 hrs on him. I go on looking for one that wants to come in. Scenarios change daily. Each day is dif imho. I'm fine with it the way it is. But i wouldn't complain about it opening on second Saturday either.