Under ground basement style house

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by dirthole, Feb 25, 2018.

1. dirthole

dirthole 8 pointer

Feb 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    my wife and I have been thinking about building a underground house.I was wondering if any of you guys live in one and if so do you like them?

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    A friend of mine has one. He lives it. Even during the hottest part of summer when everybody’s electric bill is through the roof his stats low

3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My buddy has one and loves it.

4. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Got a buddy gonna build one in a year or two. We checked into it before we bought a house
    and it sounds like a good idea. Need to plan on ventilation and humidity.

5. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    When we first moved to Jessamine County we lived on the same farm as our landlord who had an in ground home. Technically their home was only partially in ground, with one wall entire wall exposed with lots of windows. I would describe it as a walk out basement without the upstairs.

Faced south and had mature hardwoods in front yard. Summer the leaves were on and provided shade, winter no leaves so lots of natural light.

Only thing I didn't like was the layout, long but only one room deep. They heated the entire home with wood only, and cooled it in summer with a very small AC unit.

6. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Its what i wanted when i built my house, but i had no south facing hillside. One entire wall of windows facing south is that you need. Thick poured walls with lots of drain tile installed and a good waterproof coating before back filling. I also believe i would put an attic fan in, to pull air through if needed. Maybe dehumidifiers too. It would be cheap to heat, dnd cool, but humidity and mold could become a problem, so take every precaution.