user fees

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Ynothirekybiologists, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Dang i have been sitting here waiting on someone to post about Art Lander's article in the sunday Herald Leader titled: "Cost of Nature, wildlife management areas examine user fee"!!!! Two of kentuckys largest wma's, central kentucky wma and western kentucky wma have a combined maintenance cost of more than $300,000 a year!!! LKS president " we don't think it's fair that hunters and fishermen should have to bear the entire cost of the upkeep and maintenance of state wildlife management areas." AMEN brother! make the horse back field trialers pay to mow Central. "licensed trappers, hunters, fisherman and boaters would be exempt....we know there are alot of issues that will need to be resolved" ....." the cost should be about the same as the cost of a fishing and hunting license, ballpark figure about $20"

this sounds fair to me! if out of state trialers can afford to trailer in 20 dogs to run in a field trial and pay entry fees they can pay a user fee to have the privelage of usage of "our" wma.

looking forward to hearing responses from the masses!
    your friend forever----JIMMY NEUTRON
    BTW I like the signs at Central!! hmmm wonder why those were put up???

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Jimmy, what do the signs say?
    As for the article that Art talked about, I am all for it. Your sounds fair part was my exact response.

3. GSP: i was informed that a new sign or signs were erected that explained that central was purchased for field trial/dog training grounds. thus trying to justify the mowing operation. everyone knows dang well central was mowed for one sole purpose: so the horse backers can see their dogs run. gotta love political pull....you rub my back, i'll rub yours. i have not been able to get my old worn out butt out that way in a long time to see the latest central signs but trying to get the neighbor to take me out there.

4. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    User fee should not have to be paid by out-of-state users that are not hunting on the WMA. This should be handle by the Event Organizer, who purchases an Event Permit, for say $100 or $200 or so. Of course this cost gets passed on to those using through the Entry Fee.

5. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    I'll agree Multi. Haveing been a devout houndsman for many years I daresay that individuals need not pay on a personal basis for the priveledge of comeing to a neighboring state in competition of said dogs.

Now,as part of the "fee" i.e. for instance "Autumn Oaks" the UKC "World" or other such prestigious events. Suffice it to say that theses events bring quite a bit of $$$revenue to the local economies involved and NO GAME are killed. A "user fee" should be involved but should be included in the money that those who compete pay on a one time per hunt basis. After all, these "hunts" are to see who has "it" and who does not......When the tail gate drops, the BS stops......[:D]....Yes, I was the proud owner of a former Nite Champion....Hahn's Hank.....a.k.a......Raus.

6. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    A couple things to keep in mind. Ask yourself who will "police" the WMA's looking for permit offenders? Will more staff be required? Will it be one of those deals that shows we(KDFWR) brought in an extra $100,000 on users fees, when we(KDFWR) actually spent $200,000 to do so? Are the "permit police" the same ones that do NOT catch all the 4-wheelers that currently abuse our WMA's? Or the ones that drive around the locked gates and poach at will? Remember our wardens are already up to their ears in stuff to do and on an overtime lock-down. The Dept is already trying to do more with less and trying to figure out how to bring more money IN. Would also be interesting to see how many trials DO NOT purchase a user permit, which allows the out-of-state guy free reign on our WMA's, while the old lady birdwatcher from Georgetown would be expected to buy a permit when entering Kleber WMA. Who "polices" the trials to make sure permits are bought for each trial? Just some foood for thought.

7. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I think they would approach it like the hospitals do on their bills. Add a couple things extra and if you pay, great, if you question it, say, oops, and take it off the bill. In other words, if we all go out and buy the user permit, great. If the trialers don't, then oh well, at least we got a little extra from the local boys. As far as patrolling, I don't think that's even a consideration unless they just happen upon somebody and they ask about it. I know, I have a bad outlook on things today but this seems how a lot of places operate.

Hopeing for the best,
    Strutter

8. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    I disagree with the notion that out of staters trial or otherwise should not have to pay the fee.

Look anyone who walks on said property is suppose to have a license. Out of staters are gaining a privledge and should not squable about paying 5 bucks to use the WMA. You go to a campground you pay. I don't want to hear about how much money they are spending if they can't cough up 5 bucks to use the ground (the most important part) then they aren't spending much money. The department gets no kick back from a local economy boost (because you all tell me they get no tax money besides MY license fees for hunting and boating) and yet has the added cost of maintaining the ground and cleaning up after the out of staters mean while Mr patel down at the days in is the only one who got any money for the room and food at his restaurant and shiped the money back home in the EAST(Middle that is).

9. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    1. I've been to five different states to some very large coon hunts and have never directly paid a user few. Other states don't do it and we don't need to either. If it's an event were no game is taken, unless that furnish by the event host, then they shouldn't have to pay. Handle it with the event organizer and have a fee large enough to cover the costs.

2. The Dept. of F & W is also under the Dept. of Tourism so that the economy boost is important to Mr. Bennett.

10. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    If the event organizer is charges a simlar fee then we are playing semantics.

11. TripleBlind

TripleBlind Fawn

Oct 29, 2002
    It's not really semantics, it makes sense. It cuts out a lot of work for the dept. and the CO's. The CO can check one guy at a trial and be done, and the dept. can sell one permit and be done. The same amount of money can be made within reason. Maybe a $200 blanket permit, or an on site user fee ($5 per dog) paid directly to the land manager by the organizer. The organizer would easily tack this onto the trialers entry fee.
    --As far as a user permit for anyone setting foot on a WMA that doesnt have a hunting or fishing license, I'm all for it. How is charging someone $15 to use hunter supported land for bird watching any different than adding an excise tax to a pair of binoculars to support wildlife conservation nationwide (as was going to be the case with CARA).

12. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    Let me rephraze if we are charging them a fee for using the facility I don't care how speicifically we charge it that is up to the department. They could say Ok 200 dollars thats 40 passes oh you have a 100 plus people coming that will be 500 dollars.

Um that is hunter, fisher, and boater supported land my friend. I wonder how much WMA has been bought with money taken from boaters. They need to send a pass to the boaters too. There are probably more boats than hunters in this state. Though someone will correct me. Lets see a family with two or three see do's, houseboat, fishing boat, etc it adds up fast.

13. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Why should it mater if game is taken or not, if a group "USES" a WMA for any reason they should pay just like everybody else.

Here's an example of what I ran into in LBL this year. I was bow hunting in Area 1 where most of the bicycle trail are and was hunting an old overgrown road bed in the woods, now that "road bed" is closed and legal to hunt over. Later two guys on mountain bikes came down the bed and stopped right in front of me, I called to them and asked them to keep going because I was hunting here. I'm not posting on here what they said but you could tell right off the bat they were anti-hunters who didn't want me there. I came down told them I had a hunting license which gave me the right to hunt on public land that was open to hunting plus I had a "LBL user permit" and asked them if they had one. Of course they didn't, they don't need one to "USE" LBL. They had as much right to be there as I did with my "User Permit". I think that is very wrong to make one group of people (hunters) pay for everyone else.

14. Basswipe

Basswipe 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2002
    E\'town.
    Excellent point wildcat. You as a hunter were required to pay money to use public land while the bikers weren't required to pay to use the same land. How you chose to use the land should be of no relevance as long as it is legal. Last time I checked both hunting and bike riding were legal.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

15. blacky

blacky Fawn

Dec 12, 2002
    I am not from KY but here is my opinion based on my travels out of state on hunting trips.

If one pays, all pay. That should include hunters,bikers, hikers,four wheelers, dog training and trials,etc.If the person or group that holds the event is charged a fee, that should be OK if it covers the total amount of people.