Verdict on TSS

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ky.longbeard, Feb 9, 2019.

1. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

These examples can not be accurate given common thought on HTL loads. If a HTL 9 weighs the same as a lead 5 then there would be an equal number of pellets in a 1oz load. The ONLY way there would be more is if ammo was loaded "by volume" and not weight. I agree that in 1oz of material of equal density there would be more 9's than 5's but we are talking about a smaller shot having equal weight. 1oz is 1oz!

2. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Does anyone reload there own turkey loads I'm no cheapskate. But I think 4 or 5 goes together and buys the powder and shells and come out cheaper than 30 dollars a box .

3. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Anyone ever try loading a muzzeloader with smokeless powder to an equal VOLUME of black powder or equivalent? I can guarantee you the results would be catastrophic!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I wouldn't want to shoot that hand gernade.

5. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

What weighs more? A pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?

6. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    I may have it wrong about the weight,but I am gonna give em a try. It is a little confusing on the weight an oz. is an oz. I do know they rock the target when they hit !

7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Pound of bricks. Dang. :D

8. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    That will kill. Good deal.
    I haven’t shot tss yet. I shot kent tss shells in Mexico that the outfitter provided but i don’t think it was true tss. Maybe a blend or something. I’m gonna eventually try it in my 20 gauge. Go to gobbler nation website and there’s a ton of info on this stuff. The guys have done the work on it. You buy shot from them they will give u load data. Bunch of good guys on there. But I don’t reload so I’ll just buy federal or whatever like you.

9. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    If I read it right on another site , TSS is harder which equals the harder or equal hits as bigger shot size at further distances but weighs less which is why you get double the shot in the same weight loads ...1oz # 5s 179 pellets to 360some pellets of #9 TSS if that helps explain anything ... I’m a if it ain’t broke don’t fix it kind of guy

10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I got a Stevens single barrel model 94. 3 inch full choke 410 that has killed several Turkey with 6 lead shot.

11. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Perry, I'll leave this thread here for your own comparison and you can form your own opinion on what you think.
    But I'm seeing better results with TSS 9 than 4 lead in my tests.

https://gobblernation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1653

I'm handloading and testing my own.

12. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Explanation from the folks at Apex

While simple kinetic energy equation tells us yes mass and velocity are in the equation. Most people don't comprehend Velocity is also exponentially proportional to mass. So exiting the barrel with similar muzzle velocities, any heavier pellet will carry more " kinetic energy." So if that's the case, let's use #2 steel. Its more than # 4 lead, right? At 3.509 grains it then must be better? This is why most big game bowhunting guides require a certain arrow weight, because a heavier, slightly slower arrow is more lethal than a light fast one. The answer is momentum. It is more important than the flashy, marketed " kinetic energy." However, what the " energy" is actually referred to is knock down power. A common misnomer used in tss. Shotgunners have two common myths, they think velocity is constant and gravity is negligible. A #9 tss pellet has the same penetration capability as a number 4 lead in ballistics gel at 40 yards. How? We'll lead is a malleable material that deforms on impact. Therefore it creates an uneven surface. It also has more surface area than a #9. BOTH which contribute to the pellet losing velocity. Since velocity is relative to kinetic energy at an exponential rate, it looses velocity at an exponential rate. Air is actually modeled as a fluid and thus we utilize this to calculate resistance loses. Therefore, because lead has lost so much velocity, it's mass is not relative to the equation as much where as an initial pellet such as 1.2 grains is but has maintained a velocity of 4-500 fps or more at that range. Coupled with its density ( which enables it to maintain speed due to momentum which is defined as a subjects ability to impart resistance on an object in motion) and ability to not deform allows it to penetrate to the equivalent of #4 lead at 40 yards (approx 2.5") As we shoot birds we are not looking to hit muscle and have a lead core " open up" to cause hemmorage, we are looking for skeletal and nervous system damage. We are looking looking for a material that as the ability to accomplish such in a greater manner and at greater distance if one so chooses.

If none of this which I said is true, then why would we just not use steel in larger pellet sizes then since say it's, possibly cheaper or more environmental friendly? Why do we not shoot #9 lead then? Why does heavyweight 15 not come in number 9? Why does hevi shot not offer their products in 8 and 9? Are the thousands of people who use TSS , even if they don't buy from us , apart of a gimmick? Does the military using tungsten tipped rounds for armor piercing a false way to spend more on ammunition?

No, they are not. Simply put. Material density enables us to utilize a smaller pellet which retains velocity due to momentum ( mass times velocity, not to be confused with kinetic energy of mass times velocity squared) and is less susceptible to wind resistance which allows it to have the " same knock down power" or " energy" as people mislabel it as #4 lead in ballistics gel at 40 yards and beyond. Since most ballistics gel is the same relative compatible composition in terms of damage as tissue of animals, it is widely used for testing such as by the FBI for testing.

So, common misnomer as people relate " energy" equivalencies from mere weight and muzzle velocities. A common software used to calculate energy at distances based on density, shot size and velocity, can be purchased from BPI called KPY which we use. Also, I will cite sources below from Tom Roster and Randy Wakeman, two of the most well known and respected shotshell experts today and argue the very same claims I mentioned above.

I assure you this is not a gimmick. Tungsten is considered a " precious metal" on the world market and is marketed as such. If it were cheaper, then every shotshell manufacturer would dabble into it and we would offer our shells the lowest we possibly could. There is a reason Federal wants in the market. Validity always reveals itself. Always.

Drahts likes this.
  13. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Welp, that puts things in perspective.

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The only perspective I need is $7-$9.00 per shot. No thanks.

15. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    That’s right. I’ve got plenty htl and long beard shells before I buy any tss if I do. I’ve always said callem in close and dove shells will killem. Lol

riverboss, bearleft and KYH5N1 like this.