Verdict on TSS

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ky.longbeard, Feb 9, 2019.

1. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    FC4C6661-6C2D-4AE1-BAC8-34E568207AE2.jpeg 99B90299-9C6A-4360-8083-7D04531F9E51.jpeg Shot my 1949 Winchester model 24 16 gauge today with #8 tss loads, should be a proficient turkey killer. Shot at a measured 40 yards.

bondhu, Marsh CallUser and Munson like this.
  2. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Thats impressive. What choke you running there DC?

3. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    factory full, guns not tubed

4. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    After i typed that i looked at the post again and saw the year. I said heck that thing aint got no choke tube haha. Great pattern. Where did you get the tss shells from?

5. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    Apex Ammunition out of Mississippi

Mainbeam likes this.
  6. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    A mouse ain't getting thru that pattern. I'm guessing that's a 10" circle?

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Would you rather get hit with a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks ?
    My go to shell for many years was a Remington Duplex 4x6 3 inch load. Can't find them anymore around here. Killed many at 40 to 50 yards with the same gun Kylongbeard has. In fact I may have stolen a bird away from him one morning years ago and rolled him....:eek:. I bet he remembers that day. Sorry about that I didn't know you were around the corner.. :D I thought I just had to outcall a old hen. Is that place as good as it once was ?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    bearleft likes this.
  8. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
  9. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Dang I hope you guys are friends.

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

We cool. We came from different directions and ended up less than 100 yards apart that morning and neither knew the other was there until I shot and walked out to pick up the bird and seen him walking away. Tom came down off a ridge behind us and like me better that day..LOL

11. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    This year, I may break out my Winchester model 92 410 and buy some TSS

12. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    I'll answer your last question first ....No ! Back in the 90's you could get on about any ridge and hear or see turkeys . Although I do mange usually to fill my tags sometime it is a struggle . Back then there wasn't any hunting pressure on adjoining farms,but that has changed a bunch,in fact they have been known to cross the property lines and then play ignorant ! That cost a couple of em! On one of the adjoining farms the CO has caught them twice putting out the yellow nuggets and that is always tough on trying to hunt ,because they are drawn away from us . I have gone listening twice so far this year and not heard a sound,hopefully that will change. This morning I did see a hen but that was it.So that would be the reasons for the ...No ! Plus the numbers are down from back then !

The story about you shooting the turkey out from under me is funny.....What makes it funny ,because all these years you thought that was me and it wasn't:p:p! I was gonna let you think about who it was for awhile ,but I'll go ahead and tell you ....It was my son not me :D !

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yeah I thought I ask and you said it was you. There were plenty to pick from back then. I had Robbie out one morning and he had to leave early and he had no longer got out of sight of the big field until 3 Tom's came marching out of the swamp. We were set up on the ditch that split the fields where the road is. I made one of those Tom's go splash down into that ditch. Have not hunted there in probably 15 years now. If I had known it was a kid there I would have called for him that day. I had those turkeys figured out rather well on that place. David gave me the heads up.

14. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    My son hunts where you used to and a couple of years he had to eat his tags. I believe on the other side of the hwy. they are putting out the yellow nuggets now,but don't know for sure. Last year during season you could drive down the hwy. and see turkeys in that field every hour of the day and in the same spot!

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yeah I parked out on the hwy a few times and seen some large flocks across the road more than once. Seems like the last year I hunted there it was tough. I found if you go into the big field and head southwest across the ditch to a large dogwood then up to the top of that hill was a great spot to start out at. I killed one there that went 27 pounds with 1 1/2 inch spurs and 12 inch beard. He came from the direction your son was set up the day I stole the turkey, Marched into a load of duplex 4x6's. I had walked in from the house that day and near died packing that thing out. You do know that was one of the first farms they turned Turkeys loose at in the county. David told me that.
    Who bury the dogs you or your son ?