Verdict on TSS

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ky.longbeard, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    My son did that for your sis !

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Ok only time we have met was one day I took a shortcut back towards the house from the big field and you were sitting in the edge of the woods across the ditch...Right ? Or was that someone that didn't belong there ?

3. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    Who knows !! I was sitting on top of the hill one day and had my decoys out in the field and was just soft calling. I heard a rustling in the leaves behind me ,so I eased my head around and these two boys were stalking my decoys with guns up. So I hollered out ....hello gentleman !! I thought they were gonna mess their pants!

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I can say other than seeing your son and maybe you that one day in all the times I hunted there was it. (I didn't know anyone else was out there that day and walked up on a guy against a tree) Well other than Robbie and My bear hunting buddy I brought down from Indiana the year David passed for a 5 day hunt. I tagged out on first and second day. My buddy chased them turkeys for 5 days and only killed one. He didn't want any help for some reason. I offer he refused. David was funny he wanted me to kill a cow, the only time I was bowhunting deer on that place. One he called Blacky that was a escape artist and would lead all the other cows away and he would have to go chase them back in the pasture. He said you kill him and we will drag him out and cut him up and eat his sorry ass. I never ran across Blacky so he was safe from me. Have not raised any cows in your utility room have you like Sis did...? LOL.

5. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Picked up two boxes Saturday for the 20 gauge. They call it 3rd degree. I’m gonna get the gun out sometime this week and see what it will do with different chokes

FOWLER2671 and Drahts like this.
  6. KY-WYWaterfowler

KY-WYWaterfowler 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Morehead, KY
    Post the results when you get a chance. I bought a Benelli M2 20 ga in 2018, I'm debating on which loads to get.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  7. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Went down to Whittaker Guns yesterday and picked up another 20 for this season. This one is an 870 compact in the new Realtree Timber pattern. Topped it with a Weaver Micro Dot and added a Carlson's TSS tube. We'll see how it does on paper one day this week ttg1.jpg ttg2.jpg ttg3.jpg ttg4.jpg

bondhu and beauhunter41031 like this.
  8. 1badDart

1badDart 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    KY
    I see some guys shooting this new shot in old guns, so it's okay and won't harm the barrels? If so I may try to find some shells or at least shot and load some for one of my 410s.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    man i spend a lot of money on "stuff", but i just don't see the need to spend $30/box of shells when the $15 box will do everything i want out to 40-45 yds..

KY-WYWaterfowler likes this.
  10. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

This is the question I have as well.

11. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I shot some TSS in my old Stevens 311. Miced the chokes before and after 12 rounds from each barrel. Same .690 on both sides as before. No barrel bulge. Didn't hurt a thing

Marsh CallUser likes this.
  12. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Let us know how that 3rd degree tss patterns. I can buy that at my local Walmart in 20 gauge for when my wife hunts with me. I do need to buy some 20 gauge shells.

13. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Walmart has the 3rd degree tss for $15 and some change.

14. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Only a small%of TSS in 3rd degree. Lead, and flightstopper steel make up the bulk.

Dark Cloud and OLE RASPY like this.
  15. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Will do. Not expecting super tight patterns with it. The folks at Federal are pushing it as a great load for kids. They claim the flightstopper and lead will open up quickly, and that there is enough TSS to hold a killing pattern at a little distance. If it does what they say, it should be really good for excited kids prone to sending a baseball sized wad of shot just over a close in bird's head. I've long maintained that to much choke saves turkey's lives when it comes to young hunters.

RLWEBB, Drahts and OLE RASPY like this.