Video: Underwater Glock-Fishing For Lionfish

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by EC, Sep 23, 2016.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Video: Underwater Glock-Fishing For Lionfish
    By:
    OutdoorHub Reporters +

Posted: 9/22/16
    [​IMG]
    Lionfish are an invasive species doing a lot of harm to underwater ecosystems. They’re basically the feral pigs of oceans reefs.

This underwater Glock-fishing video was originally made to see if this group of guys could shoot a Glock underwater, and once they realized it was possible, it developed into much more.

With no known predator, the lionfish has been eradicating baitfish all across the ocean. These guys do their part in slowing the lionfish devastation by bringing their Glocks underwater with them and firing away. The guns had to have a few modifications done to them, and then they were ready to go.

This video shows some really cool slow-motion footage of the guns being fired underwater, and they look like they shoot fine, just ask the lionfish.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/09/22/video-underwater-glock-fishing-lionfish/

2. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Cool, thanks for sharing.

3. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Very cool, got to love preditor control. No mater where its being done.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So do they use the silencers because the report would be louder or more damaging under water? Are they concerned about muzzle lift or something? Why the silencers?

5. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    That looks more like a compensator. I'd bet it has more to do with venting gases before the bullet exits the barrel. Maybe it keeps the turbulence down so they can see what they shoot better.

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    There's another video explaining the suppressor they had to build. Evidently shooting underwater is very uncomfortable as water isn't compressible like air, so the pressure was magnified. They had to make something to cut down on the pressure.

7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    That might run straight to the top of my bucket list!!! Too cool!!!

8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.

I understand these fish are tasty. I'm sure if anyone ever used a pistol they'd have to take it apart, piece by piece, and make sure they've cleaned all the corrosive salt water residue from it. Otherwise it's 'rust city'.

9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Wonder if they couldn't cover them with grease or something first?

But really, a Glock is a pretty simple gun without a lot of extra parts, so I'd say it's not too bad to clean after rinsing in fresh water.

10. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I'd say if there is a video of it, someone is already advertising trips just like spear fishing!! Especially since they had to essentially manufacture the muzzle break to be able to do it in the first place. These jokers probably got a patent on the whole gun set up at this point.

11. EdvinJones

EdvinJones Fawn

Oct 1, 2016
    Wow, I'm pretty surprised that Outdoor Hub of all people would run such irresponsible content. When spear fishing, anglers are advised to take great care not to hit reefs with their spear in order to avoid causing irreparable damage to sensitive reefs that are already struggling to survive as it is. To entertain fools with a Glock shooting at reefs and without a doubt damaging them heavily is not good journalism from a site that should be promoting responsible actions rather than further damage to our aquatic playgrounds. Getting rid of lions is important but trashing the environment that supports other fish at the same time achieves cancels that action out.

12. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Believe it or not, CNN had an article a couple of weeks ago about the lion fish being an invasive species all along the east coats of North and South America. Some guy has invented a device that is placed around the lion fish and electrocutes it. Pretty interesting but shooting then sounds way more fun.

13. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Kill'em all amd stomp on their eggs

14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I thought they were shooting lionfish, not reefs. I feel like a 9mm bullet fired underwater will not travel very far and will lose momentum very quickly.