what about the bears???

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by harlanbuck, Nov 14, 2003.

1. harlanbuck

harlanbuck Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    ages, ky, USA.
    we have had a big increase on our bear population in the past two years. im telling you they are everywhere. Is there alot all over the state?

Makes me dred spring turkey hunting[:D][:D]

2. VinVega

VinVega 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2003
    Flatwoods, KY, USA.
    Never seen one. Don't really care to. Bears are pretty rough creatures, and I would feel bad shooting one cause my dog looks like one! Noone can hurt something that reminds them of their very own dog.

3. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    Good Point, VinVega. I had a german shepherd that, except for the tail, could have passed for a not too small black bear anywhere.
    I think its time to allow for limited hunting of black bears in Kentucky. Why not a draw system like they use for Elk? What do you guys think?

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I don't think there are any in the western part of the state. If there are they sure are hideing very well. With the close proximity to Virginia, West Virginia, and those states having bears a influx into suitable habitat in Kentucky was bound to happen as the population expands. About the only thing you have to fear is getting between a sow and her cub's and then to avoid confortation in most cases just back away slowly while talking to the bear in a normal tone of voice. They don't want problems anymore than you do.

5. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    if ya watch out for sows and cubs ya won't have much of a problem except for an rare teen bear or one that is about to starve for one reason or another. it's also a good idea if ya see one eating to leave it alone the get kinda defensive every now and then

6. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    That's the same way I get when I'm eatin. GRRRRRRR.

7. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    i know i'm the same way

8. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    i know i'm the same way
    and don't buy that crap about playing dead, that don't work with black bear

9. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    Ok so as I see it your saying we only have to avoid;

Momma Bears
    Babby Bears
    Teenage Bears
    Bears eating poorage
    Hungry Bears
    Angry Bears

Don't play dead,
    Don't run,
    Don't climb Trees.

Do have a pleasant conversation while walking backwards and hope you don't run into pappa bear.

Someones been sitting in my chair.

10. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    LMAO Shogan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

11. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

shogan, I was reading through the post and kinda coming up with the same conclutions. Well said! However, I think it would be cool to come up with a huntable black bear population.

12. VinVega

VinVega 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2003
    Flatwoods, KY, USA.
    Duster, I agree bears don't want trouble anymore than I do, but honestly I don't think one would have trouble at all tearing me to bits, unless I'm armed. Most people aren't rough enough to fight a bear hand to paw. Although, out in Greenup County on the AA, my sister-in-law's dad used to wrestle a tame bear some guy had! I myself am not into wrestling such creatures, but to each his own I guess.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yall crack me up being worried about a bear. I bet any of ya would have loved to be in my shoes or should I say boots the day up in Manitoba Canada one came up the ladder to my tree stand to check out what that strange shape was. Bears are like hogs and don't have the best eyesight in the world. This one got both front feet on the platform an just as it's head came over the edge it got one swift kick in the snoot and as far as I know that poor old bear is still running after grabbing it's nose and falling off the ladder. I admit it will shake you up a bit but I still laugh when I picture in my mind the bear grabbing it's nose with both front feet and falling off that ladder.

14. mike.one

mike.one 8 pointer

Duster I cain't top that. Don't wanna try!! But it must be something about Canada. My buddy was taking a crap in Canada when a black bear walked up within 30 feet or so. My buddy stood up, britches around his ankles and they eyed each other. My buddy had a machete for snakes, he started waving it and yelling and the bear walked off. He claims it was his "gun" that scared the bear (as in "this is my weapon, this is my gun"), but I figure the bear jest looked him over and felt bad for him . . . turned away in embarrasment.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity!