What is a trophy to you?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by preachnhunt, Jan 6, 2018.

1. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    In 2011 while hunting with my 12 yr old grandson he killed a really big buck similar to yours. It had a heavy rack 10 points with a 24 1/2 inch spread but like yours it's longest tine was only 6 1/2 inches. The taxidermist who mounted it aged it at 11 1/2 years old. We had never seen the buck or had it on camera. He also won the Big Buck contest at the local gun shop $600 toward anything in his store. He wanted a Browning X-bolt 300 WSM so I paid the difference. The hunt, the deer and all the excitement we'll never forget. To me that is a trophy!

2. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I started hunting at very late age I believe it was 22 or so. At that time anything it had antlers it was a trophy to me . now 30 years later in very selective on the size of a buck I take. I have one mounted which is somewhere on the 140 class I tried not shoot anything under but sometimes I don't want to eat buck. So usually shoot a mature buck smaller then that.

3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I meat hunt and trophy hunt. Of coarse I always looking for a BIG BUCK. But if a Spike comes out or a 20 pointer it depends what mood I'm in. Ive ate Buck tag soup many years because didn't see one I wanted. BUT always put a couple of Doe in freezer. A trophy to me is a Deer any sex I take with my Bow or Gun.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  4. spanky116

spanky116 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2005
    Garrad County, KY
    I've talked with some friends about this before. If I get excited and start breathing heavy when I see the deer walk in it's a trophy for me. I won't shoot a little buck but when a bigger buck comes in on me I still get tore up. I even admit that I still get excited when a doe comes in and I know I'm going to get a shot. If I ever loose that feeling I'll stop hurting.

5. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    rps20180107_130231.jpg I know this is in the deer hunting forum but I'm gonna post something a little different. Everybody has their standards of what a trophy is to them. To me it's the experience and the passing of knowledge on to the younger generations. This is a pic of my grandson on the first hunt he ever went with me. This picture and the memories we made that day was the best trophy I could ever ask for.

6. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Anything that excites me into wanting to kill it is a trophy. I do my best to target specific bucks and age classes. My kids are happy killing whatever walks out in front of them and that makes me happier than anything. Anymore, I’d rather take someone hunting. To put someone in a position to kill an animal and know I had a part in it is far more satisfying to me than any animal I could kill now. Passing it on and sharing the outdoors is the best trophy of all to me!

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I have the sentiment that you can’t really define a trophy. It means something different to everyone .. and that’s the way it should be.

Which to me personally.... it’s not the fact a particular animal can’t be measured or scored .. but a true trophy doesn’t have to be. It’s the feelings within that make something a trophy.. the happiness of a successful hunt or even the remorse the chase is over. It’s more to do with how you got there more-so than the end result that makes something regarded as a trophy to me.

Which in the world we live in today with plentiful game populations..... hunting is not hard and the killing part is easy.

Which after I’m gone I don’t want to be remembered by mounts on the wall or if I did or didn’t get my name in B&C or P&Y. That’s superficial to me and the least of my concerns.

Basically we’re all surrounded by true trophies in our lives.... none of which needs a tape put to it.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  8. KYhunter87

KYhunter87 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2015
    Central KY
    Any buck that's 130 or better is a trophy to me but I still enjoy shooting does. My wife started hunting three years ago after we bought our farm. I've been with her for every deer that she's killed and this year she killed a 140 class 10 point. The hunts with her have been more memorable for me than any buck I've killed.

JR PORTER likes this.
  9. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I would not consider a really old buck a trophy because they are rare but have bad eyes, bad noses, some walk with a severe hitch in their step and are easier to kill..... but that's just me

10. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    A trophy is what u make it. If I am looking to kill a doe for some freezer meat and am lucky enough to take one, that is a trophy. If a buck gets me excited enough to fling an arrow and I harvest him, that's a trophy. If my beagles run a rabbit for 25 minutes and I am able to harvest it after a big loop, I have a trophy. It's really about your perspective and the experience. Memories are forever!!

11. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    A trophy has varied at different points in my life. Used to be any antlered deer, now it's reserved for mature 4 plus year old deer or 140 inch or bigger.
    Every hunt for me is a memory, but not every one has to be a trophy for a good experience. The a real trophy for me, just like life, is setting a high but reasonable goal and having success. Most years that is trying to figure out a certain target deer and passing the smaller ones.

12. 1sttop

1sttop 6 pointer

Jun 29, 2007
    Flaherty, KY
    A trophy to me doesn't go to everybody or everything. Now having stated that, I wouldn't consider a trophy every deer I take. To me trophies should be hard to come by and I have yet to achieve one. I have deer on my wall that I am proud of and I have memories of great hunts and good times but they aren't my trophy. I would measure a trophy as a racked deer that would make it into the record book with whatever weapon I'm using.

13. 257Wmag

257Wmag Spike

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    Don't put a number on it, shot a really unique, old buck in Iowa with the bow. No idea what it scores but it's an awesome deer with tons of mass and kickers, giant bodied. Could have held out for a higher scoring deer but I was tickled with the deer I killed. In KY this year I shot a very big bodied 8 that probably won't make 130 but he was a 4 year old I would guess so I was happy with that. Any older buck is good with me.

14. hossamassey

hossamassey Spike

Jan 18, 2006
    A trophy for me is just being in the woods. It's the time spent with family and friends. Yes, it's great to be able to have the opportunity to harvest...and those are trophies as well, but my time in the woods will always be my trophy.

JR PORTER likes this.
  15. Big-Chief

Big-Chief Fawn

Dec 16, 2017
    Shelbyville KY
    Great example to us all. For me every deer or animal I have taken is a trophy. It has provide for my family and me. I do have several mounts that I am proud of, one which was a very old buck (12 points) that didn't have but three teeth (Kentucky Joke in there somewhere). I was late to a blind on the last day of Ohio gun season, so I said what the hell and stopped at McDonalds and got some burritos. Went my blind and ate them then caught myself a nap. I was awakened by a grunting buck standing 50 yards from my blind. Don't know if he was grunting because I was snoring or from the smell of the half eaten-half frozen burrito on my lap. I didn't even hesitate and shot him. He probably did weigh 200lbs. Still one of my best memories hunting. I call him the burrito buck. All of his points are right around 3in each. I also made breakfast burritos out of the breakfast sausage I made from his old ass. Great conversation.