What is a trophy to you?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by preachnhunt, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Um, how do you know how good or bad their eyesight and olfactory sense are? What's the difference in both between a 4 year old and a 7 year old deer?

2. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Hahahahahaha

3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Whatever makes happy. Ive been blessed to kill a 180" class typical 10 point. Everytime,even after a year when I look up at him I cant believe it..
    Even at that killing that buck wasn't my most fun deer hunt.
    I stalked a big fat doe, on the ground for around an hour on public land.. Going from tree to tree, on my belly and beating that old doe with a bow on her own terf was my most fun hunt..She was a trophy to me.

4. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    At this moment a buck4-5 years old.

5. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    A trophy to me is the memories of the hunt, and more importantly, a delicious, savory, and healthy meal prepared from the harvested animal. The primary purpose that I hunt is putting food on the table. I enjoy processing the meat, and making specialized cut such as bone in chops, or different sausages and brats. When I plate a perfectly grilled bacon wrapped backstrap, thats the trophy for me.

xbokilla and rockhousehunter like this.
  6. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Damn, all these years I never knew that memory's and trophy's have the same meaning:rolleyes:

7. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    But this is the age of participation trophy's. Wow:)

littlebear likes this.
  8. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Trophy’s I guess would be a critter you go head to head with and win regardless of size ... An old gobbler no one could call , a certain deer Buck or Doe that’s my definition ...

rockhousehunter likes this.
  9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Wish my grandfather could have seen all we have today, all we had to hunt in E KY was squirrel, rabbit, grouse, and groundhogs. Would love to see his reaction to seeing a bear, big buck or a big tom gobbling! I spent a lot of time with my grandfather hunting and fishing really miss that time nearly 60 years ago! I remember the first time I got to carry a gun while we squirrel hunted, I was probably 8 or 9 yrs old. I took my Dads 20 gauge Winchester 37. He spotted a squirrel in a big beech tree and got me in position to shoot it. When he saw it run out on a limb he said there it is shoot it, I said I don't see it he moved me around to a different spot and when he saw it he told me again to shoot it, I said I still don't see it, he said there it is shoot. Again I didn't see it but I aimed and pulled the trigger, after the limbs and leaves fell down he said ,HUH! You missed it. ------ Never did tell him I never even seen it!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  10. BucksandFish

BucksandFish 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    E-town
    You accomplished something a lot of us haven't and that's a true trophy. You introduced someone to like deer and then she introduced the whole family to eating deer. Great job

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  11. Mxcmxc

Mxcmxc 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2016
    Any deer i take is a trophy to me. over the years that had changed some as in what I choose to take. I take trophy does for meat. And bucks that are at least 4.5 years old by my best estimate.

12. supergoat80

supergoat80 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    I really like the stuff you post but this is one of my favorites. I don’t even take a gun on opening weekend most of the time anymore I go for the memories anymore. The young guys are the important ones. I have a brother that’s just like your second son but he’s happy doing it. Going there with him and the rest of the guys is better than a booner.

13. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    Size doesn't matter to me...as long as it fits between my potatoes and green beans.:)

14. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    As long as i have to work for it, it really doesnt matter to me. Walking in the woods and shooting one on accident just isnt as satisfying to me.

15. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    For me, a trophy is all about the hunt! I have some just average heads from England/Scotland that I revere because of the hunt. I also have some whitetail racks from my youth that are respectable, and they are on a shelf in a box. I also shot an elk on a game farm (just for the meat) and threw the head away, because the sport was akin to shooting a steer at a feeder.

Same thing with all my bird mounts. Each one has a great hunt story to go with it, that makes it a trophy.

Now, that all being said, I doubt I would ever mount a spike no matter how challenging the hunt, but neither would I mount a 2000 point TX game farm whitetail if all I did was show up and sit in a box over a feeder.