What is "Chase Only" bear hunting?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by BustedEggWhite123, Aug 17, 2016.

1. BustedEggWhite123

BustedEggWhite123 Fawn

Aug 12, 2016
  2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

3. BustedEggWhite123

BustedEggWhite123 Fawn

Aug 12, 2016
    Oh okay, thank you.

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I hear the best way to hunt them for the chase only season is to get yourself a doughnut suit, any flavor will work, but I hear they like glazed the best, then go lay in the woods and when one comes up to you and takes a lick, start running. Then you just have to get far enough ahead of it to be able to turn and shoot.

BustedEggWhite123 likes this.
  5. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Yeah.....If you can't use dogs, who is doing the chasing?

6. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    oh okay......wait what?

7. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Dude I just about lost my coffee laughing so hard

Fat_Matt likes this.
  8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I am going to guess that you need to spot and stalk from the ground. No sitting and waiting to ambush them from a blind or deer stand.

9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I know nothing about bear hunting...

However, it has been my experience that "chase only" is in reference to hound hunters. During that period you can you run bears with hounds. When you see "chase only" read "train only" i.e. no killing.

That basically means dog hunters can run and tree bear, but can't shoot them. It's an opportunity for hunters to train their dogs.

Edit to add: Unfortunatley, this thread is proof that you need to take answers to questions on this forum with a grain of salt. The KDFWR has an email and phone number for inquiries. I've found them to be very helpful when I respectfully asked for assistance or provided my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  10. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I posted the link above. 2014, check for changes if you go. Here is text:

2014 Chase-Only Seasons for Bears

All Bear Seasons Open Only to KY Residents

•  Season dates: Early Season August 1 – 31, 2014

•  No bear shall be killed during a chase-only season.

•  Bears shall only be chased in designated Bear Chase Areas within Bell, Harlan, Letcher, and Pike counties (see below for maps).

•  Unless license-exempt, all members of a chase party must possess a Hunting License and a Bear Chase Permit ($30) or Youth Bear Chase Permit ($10).

•  Bear Chase Permits are only available by online purchase via the KDFWR website.

•  Bear Chase Permits are available for purchase from July 1 - August 31, 2014.

•  Chase parties shall contain no more than 5 people and 8 dogs; each individual must possess required licenses and permits.

•  Chase party size may be increased from 5 to 7 individuals if the party contains 2 youth.

•  Dogs in a vehicle or on the ground will be considered as part of the hunt.

•  Hunters shall only use hounds to chase bears from 1⁄2 hour before sunrise until 1⁄2 hour after sunset.

•  Houndsmen must submit a mandatory KDFWR Bear Hunter Survey by January 31, 2015; participation in the next year’s bear season will be dependent upon submission of this Bear Hunter Survey.

11. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    So I should return my donut suit?

EdLongshanks likes this.
  12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I'd be contacting a patent attorney post haste! You are clearly on to something with that suit. You just took "chase only" hunting to the next level.

13. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I did see in the deer hunting survey there was a question on other methods to hunt deer with and the atlatl was listed as a choice. So maybe when they do the bear hunting survey, an atlatl and donut suit will be a choice. I guess I'll hold onto it.