What kind of bird?...

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by jmo, Dec 5, 2018.

1. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    I was outside this afternoon and heard what sounded like a dove cooing nearby. Didn’t think much about it and went in the house for a minute. When I came back outside I heard the same noise only louder. I looked up and saw what looked like 50 or so huge geese flying away from me 1/4 mile or more away from me. They looked HUGE and didn’t make any noise like a flock of geese whatsoever, just that cooing sound. The only thing I could think of was sandhill cranes, but I know nothing about them, so that’s a wild guess. Any ideas?

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Sandhill Cranes

Carl, 1wildcatfan, ojibwa62 and 2 others like this.
  3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    They can make some weird sounds.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Northern Canadian long bill coors

ojibwa62 likes this.
  5. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    This ^^^^^ saw a bunch myself today.

6. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Yep. Sandhill cranes. I looked them up on YouTube and that was it (should have done that first, i guess). I just know there was a crapload of them flying over Jessamine county this afternoon.

7. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    They must not fly over the Eastern part of the state....I've never seen one or heard about them around here.

8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I saw a small flock of Sandhill Cranes fly over my property last week.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

For those who have never seen or heard Sandhill's do a search for Jasper- Pulaski fish & wildlife area. I spent many a hour waterfowl hunting this area. It is a main stopover on their migration both fall and spring. Numbers in the 12,000 rather normal to 30,000 range at peak. A sight to behold when they fly out to feed in the Indiana cornfields each morning and return each evening. People come from all over the Midwest and other places just to see them. They are highly protected in Indiana, last I heard it was a 10K fine for shooting one. I will help you out and do the search myself edit this and post a video link to JP fish and wildlife area. I knew the property manager Jim and his assistant Ken well we even did a few duck and goose hunts over the years together. They had a waterfowl hunting area name Miller Ditch that was only hunted on a limited basis. IIRC 3 days a week M-W-F. There was 3 marked spots on Miller Ditch, where you could hunt open flooded area off to the east and west. All were only accessible by boat, I like to hunt Miller 3 the longest boat trip that was made rowing a jon boat. I would say 3/4 mile thru the thickest lily pads you ever seen with a boat loaded to the max with bags of several dozen decoys, Other gear, 3 guys and a dog. Several times those cranes would roost along that ditch and when before daylight you made that trip you would bump out thousands. The noise they made when you did so was unreal.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  10. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    They should saw 40-50 yesterday afternoon coming from Tollesboro.

11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    See hundreds in NE Indiana when I'm home. Saw a flock once down around Falmouth in Pendleton county while I was hunting once.

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They try and fly up there with you it seems. Like I have told guys who have heard them but can't see them they are just not looking high enough.

13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    need AAA to reach them or scuds or patriots.

14. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They looked to be a mile high.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Or Better, they do get way up there. Fun to watch them take off. They do a spin, round and round until they get to the altitude they want then head out. At least that's how they left the wetland marsh in JP every morning.