What's ur go to call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Mar 8, 2018.

1. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Split V 3 mouth call

mudhole crossing likes this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I started chasing turkeys in the early eighties,I haven’t bought a store bought turkey call since the late eighties,I have a lynch jet slate,plus the fool proof,world champion,Lohman 870,hs strut slate,and various hand made calls, the call I’ve used most, is a hand made three reed call with different style cuts.I like using a box too locate and fire up turkeys.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  3. As some of us feel the Ky. turkey population may be declining. I feel if I release my go to call the population may be in grave danger.

4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    My dad has that same call. Some guy gave it to him yrs back. Sweet sound. Not loud but a great sound

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Yeah... it’s a soft call but honestly one of the best running slate type calls I ever used.

Which to tell on myself .... I actually ran across a a brand new one 10 or 12 years ago and bought it. I keep it in my gun safe.. just in case something ever happens to my old one... lol.

9602E954-EC7F-4C53-A017-72F0A8497BE5.jpeg

6. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I hear you. It's a dark and somber time for sure. However, think of it as a historical thing. Someday someone may want to know what a real KY turkey hunter used. We owe it to posterity

Me? If you'd asked in my first 15 years of turkey hunting, it would have been my Quaker Boy Grand Old Master that Dick Kirby put in my hand. At the time, I had no idea who he was. I wandered in as he was packing up from one of his appearances back in the early 80s. He was out of his own tapes so he had me buy a couple of Ben Lee cassettes to go with it.

However, times change. Eventually the ultra-raspy sound of a barnwood box call from Mountain Side impressed me so much at a Cincinnati Outdoors Show that I started using it. That stayed my favorite until I made the Shamanic MK I a couple of winters ago and gave it a try. Two seasons, two birds later, this is my GOTO Box.
    [​IMG]

For a pot call, there are two that I keep coming back to. The first is a Heirloom Double Barrel slate and crystal that Brian Warner gave me as a sample when I started to pro-staff for his company. The other is a Shamanic slate over glass I made back in 2007. One or the other of these is always with me.

The Double Barrel:
    [​IMG]

The Shamanic Scratchbox

[​IMG]

While not my GOTO call exactly. I have to mention my Quaker Boy Easy Yelper. Call it my last resort. I can't purr with a mouth call. I can with that little pushpin call. I position it on my right side so that my right hand can drop down and find it. There have been many times where it has saved the day. I can add a second cluck in conjunction with my mouth call. I can also let out an aggressive purr to a hen that is coming too close.

[​IMG]

stigaled and mudhole crossing like this.
  7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Wow, I'm surprised that no one said corn

Dark Cloud and mudhole crossing like this.
  8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I made a pot call several years back. The surface was an old rd sign a buddy had. That call sounded awesome. I gave it to a co-worker that was moving away.

9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I called in one a few years back, he was henned up would gobble every time I called I finally used a diaphragm call and then followed up with a Primos shaker call, did that twice and he came barreling thru a little thicket straight at me, didn't take 2 minutes. That was fun! I like a HS Strut raspy old hen mouth call, a Lynch 101 box call, a Primos cutter box call and a Knight and Hale Ol'yeller

10. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I’ve used that raspy old hen for awhile myself

11. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I remember one time I was hunting in Pike Co. and I used almost every call I had and nothing answered. I had an aluminum pot call I had and had one on the other side of the mtn answer every time! That's why I try to take 1 of every call I have, some days they're just picky!

bondhu and mudhole crossing like this.
  12. hoene

hoene Spike

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Jet slate and roger latham slate calls for me.

13. A good gobble call is a Red Wolfe. Shaker type. A little tip is to take a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels. Cut it just a bit longer than the call. Duct tape one end. Slide the Red Wolfe into the tube. Keeps it quiet in your vest. Call is dead on a gobbler.

DH13 likes this.
  14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I like the Red Wolfe. It sounds more real than any shaker than I have used.

15. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    I use a Quaker Boy Easy Yelper some times when I'm trolling, If I'm trying to work one I use my Cane Creek Pro custom glass or slate. Any old 3 reed raspy mouth call if needed for close in.

stigaled likes this.