What's ur go to call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Mar 8, 2018.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I used a little push caller like the Easy Yelper above called a Sassy Hen to get the first turkey I ever killed in range. I don’t really have a go to. I mix in several calls. Primos Wet Box is a great sounding and easy to use box call for the money. Bought mine for $8 after season few years ago.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I bought a flextone thunder shaker gobble call the other day. I've used several other gobble calls including double sided box calls but this thing is one of the most realistic gobble calls I've ever used. My wife got on to me gobbling inside the house so I went out on the porch. I let out a good sounding gobble And a tom answered it on the other side of the creek. I was like good enough to proof to put in my turkey vest. Rt situations they are an underestimated call imo. Just got to be careful when using them.

3. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I use Sweet Seduction Game calls. Very small basement company but boy could Chris crank out some nice sounding calls. He sold his business this year to another fella but this guy should continue the quality. They have a Facebook page.

4. A cheap, simple HS Strut Lil Deuce 2 slate paired with a rosewood striker is my foolproof call but I’ve honestly closed more birds scratching leaves than anything. Maybe my hand and some dry leaves?;)

5. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    wwaitt whhhaaat? I always carry a 1/3 of a roll in my turkey vest:D

Feedman and drakeshooter like this.
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I usually carry a slate and glass with several strikers just to mix it up. One of my strikers is a little rosewood and it does make a sweet sound.

drakeshooter likes this.
  7. You obviously have never dropped it and had it roll away. Only will happen once. Prefolded desired amount in a ziplock baggie only way to go.

bondhu likes this.
  8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    [​IMG]
    My go to Turkey call. And my CALL GIRL.:p

9. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    The very best has to be a fan and some knee pads !!!

DH13 likes this.
  10. Munson

Munson 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Couple pot calls a buddy made, slate, aluminum, glass.. Just depends on what flavor they like or wind. Mostly use the box call I made with poplar/walnut. Zink mouth calls or madd.
    Toooo skeered to fan one here... I'm sure the rush would be awesome tho!

11. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Primos power crystal for me...

12. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Very nice JD..... a special call for sure

13. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    One doesn't have to be a "contest" caller to kill a turkey. The setup is most important me thinks. I use a cheap diaphragm call or a Lynch foolproof box call. Almost any of the commercial calls will work. Avoid calling too much or too loud. Cadence is important. Not too slow and not too fast. A tom without hens is, well, a major plus.

Others on here may disagree, but that's what worked for me over the years.

bondhu likes this.
  14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I agree ,contest calling sounds good,a lot of effort put into ,but a hen sure don’t sound as pretty as a contest caller.Do your scouting and setup right you’ll do good.Ive read stories of turkeys being called ,by pulling on a piece of bob wire ,on an old fence post.

15. JGD

JGD Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    H S Strut Grand National double slate over glass that I bought in the late 80's. Many have been the birds that have been fooled with this call. A great call to use when they're still on the roost and equally effective as a closer. Would not leave home without it.

John