When do I hit Barkley or KY below dam?

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by Killroy, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a gas station
    I live close to bowling green and would love to hit Barkley or KY below the dam when the bighead and silvers start running. Killed a couple of silvers in barren last year but no big numbers yet (hope they never reproduce here) It is a long drive for trial and error. I was wondering when to bowfish there and can anyone post some updates as spring progresses to let us know when they move up? Any help would save me a lot of gas.

2. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Just about like hunting, one day they can be up and there by the thousands, and some days they just aren't up. Watch release levels by the dam (google). On Barkley, I like 16kcfs or less. That allows you to be able to troll pretty easily. I watch bowfishing country forum and usually people will start killing them around the first to mid May. Just depends on the spring. But you can shoot silvers pretty much anytime, but bigheads will get more scarce as the summer goes along. We smoked the bighead Memorial Day last year.

I've drove an hour and a half there quite a few times. Some days they are up and you smoke them. Some days, they just aren't up like they should be. Wear a life vest, it is required!

3. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    In all seriousness pm me in April and I'll tell you when it's getting worth a trip. I fish below both dams all the time and do occasionally shoot a few myself

4. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a gas station
    Thank you. I really appreciate the info. I have a goal set and I would be happy with one bighead. Or a spoonbill. I wouldn't mind a good shoot, but it doesn't have to be. I am itching for warmer weather, all of this ice and rain is killing the fishing on barren.