when do you need a spotting scope?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by cbs, Nov 9, 2003.

1. cbs

cbs Fawn

Oct 28, 2003
    Mchenry, IL, USA.
    hey all, Ive been looking to replace my last pair of binoculars,
    as my friends son decided to drop mine on the ground,
    my question is after looking at these, I see spotting scope's
    when do I need one, or are these for long range?
    And any body got advise on brands of range finders?

2. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Yep spotting scopes are pretty much for long range stuff. You would have to have a tripod to mount it on and that would be a pain if you were using it to deer hunt. They are handy however to scout deer with in the summer months or to varmit hunt.

3. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    The only times I use my sporting scope in Ky is at the range and on the porch at the cattle farm to watch the deer in the evenings when they come out. It's works out west best where you have to do a lot setting and watching across the valleys.

I had a Nikon rangfinder but took it back and got a Bushnell Pro. The Bushnell has a larger eyepiece and does work better for me since I wear eyeglasses. I take it with me all the time. I don't range the animals themselves but range trees, rocks, etc around my stand when I set it up.

4. kyhuntsman

kyhuntsman 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2002
    When you go to the shooting range is the only reason around here. Now, if you go out west for elk then you would need one.

Matt

5. i got a spotting scope last year for christmas, i finally got to use it this summer, watching my hot lookin neighbor layout in the sun, every man should own one, lol