Where to find platt maps

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Tom Threetoes, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Where do you buy platt maps in Ky. I'm also interested in purchasing aerial photos and topo maps. I've tried the different web sites but this web tv is not very handy for these purposes. Thanks Tom.

2. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I like the PVA maps available at the county PVA office. You can get up-to-date info on the property owners and see how the land lays. These are the property lines drawn on aerial photos. For topo maps the USGS maps are best, but you can get maps on line at topozone.com

3. Bowcrazy

Bowcrazy Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Nancy, KY.
    For platt maps, Property Valuation Administrators Offices in Courthouses are best. I've never tried, but I bet you could locate these thru internet source thru one of the state government offices in Frankfort. I'm not sure which office the PVAs come under,but I think I ordered a plat map from Frankfort once after calling the local PVA and getting the map number.

4. duckdawg

duckdawg 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2002
    you will have to go to the PVA office and locate the parcel(s) you are wanting on their maps. with map # and pva parcel # look in their files for this parcel, you will find a deed book and page #. then you need to go to the deed vault and run the property forward on the computers or by hand to make sure the property has not been sold to someone else and the pva has not updated their files. you can make copies of the public records for usually $0.25 a page. a good source of ky aerial maps is found by doing a search for kymartian (i don't remember exact website addy). if you have access to autocad you can download and paste the aerials together and plot out a nice big aerial. also your usda nrcs office will have nice aerials available for you to look at also. hmmm maybe i should start a business just pasting aerials together and selling them.

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    The PVA maps are $5 each and well worth that. Most PVA offices have them in stock or can print on demand. These are invaluable because they show the property lines of all the plots. On a big place you may need multiple maps.

6. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

PVA are fine for general information but they are not 100% acurrate. Some offices will tell you this, and I have spoken to people who helped assemble the info and they say the same. I got a aerial photo from the state that is on a scale of 1" = 200'. If you have one farm it's not to bad a price but if you want several it would be expensive. I paid $40 or $50 four years ago. If anyone is interested I will look up the address.

7. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    1. You can order the entire panels from Frankfort they are about 7 dollars I think but you need to know what panel you need (should be able to call PVA and get the Map panel and parcel number). A panel is poster size and contains mulitiple parcels a county may have anywhere from 60 150 panels.

2. You can go down to PVA and most of them will help you (Tell me what county your in and I might be able to tell you what to expect if your in South Eastern KY).

3. If you can pin point the property <b>exactly</b> on a county road map I can download the arerial photo for you and send it to you in an email. But there won't be any boundry lines on it. I can also do the same with the topo.

When you say buy Platt maps what exactly are you looking for.

Also helpful but like the pva not accurate is the FSA (farm services agency) they typically have older aerial photos but show whats farm land and whats in woods.

8. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    I guess I should have said I'm a Hoosier. Here we can purchase platt books from the court houses for about $10.00- $12.00 that show entire counties. I have several from the neighboring counties. The aerial photos I wanted were for a WMA (Peabody). I thank all of you for your input, Tom

9. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

I don't think KY has that type of plat book. I have one for my County. For those that are not aware it has 36 sections of land in one square mile, 36 squares also make up a township. A section is a square of 40 acres. Indiana, not like KY is divided and surveyed in sections. It's more orderly then our system in KY. However some sections are broken and several property holders can own a piece of a section. The plat book he is speaking of is good to identify land owners and location but doesn't help much with knowing the lay of the land, as it has no aerial or topo info.
    That's probably more info then any of you wanted but that's how it is arranged.

10. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Your wasting your time on accurate maps of Peabody. Most of the maps were made prior to the strip mining and haven't been updated. I'd try to locate what your looking for on the link for kymartin: http://kymartian.state.ky.us/doqq/

You can save to disk, print and tape together to make an aerial photo of the area.

11. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Thanks Multi, I need better definition than my web tv. I'll try it on my son's Dell. This will do the trick if it works. I also need to get myself oriented, things look different from the air. Tom.

12. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    www.terraserver.com for maps for free

13. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Try www.topozone.com to get orientated then go to the other site and locate landmarks. Terraserver is good, but hard to find the exact spot.

14. Flintlock54

Flintlock54 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Winchester, KY, USA.
    You can get free aerial photos from your local ASC office. All you need to know is the property owners name. If the owner has multiple tracts in different locations you will need to know the farm number or the road the parcel is located on. They will also be able to tell you when the last update was made.

15. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

I found a McLean Co. plat book that was published in 1999. It is similar the Indiana version. I'm not sure if all counties publish them. I would check at the local Court House.