where's all the excitement gone.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hunter185, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Hunter185

Hunter185 Fawn

Aug 27, 2015
    Hi all,
    so today I got off work a couple hours before dark and decided to do a little squirrel hunting. So I bagged a few squirrels (it was a pretty amazing hunt) but I started to think about it and noticed there's not many squirrel hunters any more. every time I ask a friend to go squirrel hunting it seems all I get are excuses, ask the same concerning whitetails and it's a different story. Seriously where did all the squirrel hunters go it seems like I hardly see people in the wma hunting them either. I can't pass up a good squirrel hunt there really fun especially bow hunting them with my mathews halon and some judos.

Gooch likes this.
  2. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I used to love squirrel hunting but, I won't eat them so therefor I won't kill them, I used to clean them and give them away, but I ran out of people to give them too, so I quit squirrel hunting.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  3. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I still do a lot of squirrel hunting here in FL during small game while post season scouting for deer. I've gotten pretty good with my slingshot on a friend's property popping them.

4. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    I think its an unfortunate cultural shift toward trophy bucks being the only thing that matter. Kids are getting started on deer because it's "cool" when they should be starting out on squirrels and rabbits to actually learn woodsmanship skills. I'm sure our more hectic work/family lives just don't allow for more time in the woods. I started out squirrel hunting, LOVE hunting with a good dog, grouse hunted hard for 15 years, and now rabbit hunt. I deer hunt, but it will always take a backseat to chasing small critters with a good dog.

Gooch likes this.
  5. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    I guarantee if there was more hunting shows on it on TV and it was publized more it would be cool again. Every thing has went to commercialized.

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Squirrel, rabbit, and quail was all I lived for as a teenager. Why, because there were no deer or turkey.
    After the deer and turkey population exploded it lost it's luster.
    I haven't taken squirrel hunting seriously since the early 90s.

rockhousehunter and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. Hunter185

Hunter185 Fawn

Aug 27, 2015
    Yeah I think it's sad squirrel hunting lost its luster among people. I hunt squirrels just as seriously as deer or now I guess I'll be getting into turkey as well. it's major fun and my 6 year old will be started this year hunting them with a 410. squirrels in the woods can be a challenge I just think the squirrel population are so high in my area people take it for granted and assume squirrels are easy and no challenge so it's better left to children but I love hunting them with a bow and using a squirrel call is a ton of fun.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    when someone starts publishing a record book for squirrels it will come back in style.

trust me likes this.
  9. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    yup iagree ,theres no GLORY or TROPHYin small game. its sad.

10. cedar ridge

cedar ridge Spike

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    I still love to squirrel hunt and love to eat them. I don't go as much as I used to because I don't want to scare off mature bucks but I love it when I do go. Helped me learn much of what I know about woodsmanship.

bow_hunter_42452 likes this.
  11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Same here...when I was a kid, if you wanted to see a deer you went to the zoo...if you wanted to see a turkey, you went to Kroger.

I still squirrel hunt. Its the best way, I think, to teach kids not growing up with hunting to hunt. You have to be stealthy, quiet and patient. Need to "listen to the forest". If you can learn to hunt squirrels with prowess...you can hunt anything.

12. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    But you can get rich!

http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail/

I had a tail board in dad's garage when I was 10-12 years old. I didn't know about the salting thing and after a little warm spell in the spring they had to get tossed. I was on my way to getting rich though.

I trespassed all over the place though. Nobody cared about a kid toting a rifle down a fence line looking for squirrels then.

You want people to get back into small game, move bow season to open the first Saturday in October.

muddhunter likes this.
  13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    bow_hunter_42452 likes this.
  14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I went opening day and killed the limit and never went back. As said above, I went a lot when I was younger but there were no deer and turkey. I need to make myself go more often. I always have fun.

15. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    I usually go first weekend just out of tradition alone. If I can talk one of the kids into going again, I might do the second weekend as well. Like previously mentioned though, with bow season around the corner in September, all else seems to stop existing when I pick up my bow. Sad though because I had more difficulty sleeping the night before squirrel season as a child than I did the night before Christmas!