Whittaker Guns... Not what it used to be.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Jun 8, 2019.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    We made a trip up there today and were not impressed... It seems like just another Gander Mountain type store.. They used to have a lot of variety in used guns.... Old Auto 5s Model 12 Winchesters, SP-10s....

I didn't see much of any of what it used to be like before the Old Codger passed on..

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    It’s a lot bigger now so maybe not as personable. I like the archery in the back! My brother deals with them a lot so they actually notify him of good deals when they arrive. I went last Sept and bought two hunting blinds from them. I felt like you can see everything better but the deals/prices weren’t as good. Is that how you felt?

3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A lot of the younger generation,just don’t care for the workmanship ,of the older guns, so they cater to the people that going to be buying.The older such as the Belgian made auto fives, the model 12 ,the old remingtons, to a lot of the older people was an art, with the beautiful wood finish, the checkering ,deep blue metal, with scroll work. All of that is being replaced with paint and plastic, no comparison.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  4. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    My first trip up there was about 2004-5. Guns were jam packed into the racks. You didn't just see one Auto-5, they would have ten to choose from! Same with Model 12 Winchesters and SP-10s etc. You went there to see what no pawn shop or local place had in quantity....

I get the idea that the old man engaged in a lot more trading then the family does now? He may have bought guns for a bit of nostalgia as well as profit?

5. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I dealt with Darrel (the old man) back when he started and worked out of his garage next to his house. Since his passing, things have went down hill in my opinion. New gun prices aren't much different than what you get at Rural King, WalMart, Gander, etc. They don't give you much for a used gun today. So trades have dried up for the used guns people actually want. They charge tax on used guns now. They didn't use to do that. They don't stock ammo like they used to either. At least not what I look for. They built a new bigger store so I guess they got to charge more to cover their higher overhead costs. They should have focused on keeping prices low, IMHO, instead of that building.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Damn shame. I remember in my teens and early twenties me and my dad making a few trips a year with pockets full of cash down there. It was like a holiday to us. Was the best gun store either of us have seen. But this was 10-15 years ago. We'd always buy a few guns a peice then go to Moonlight BBQ. Would often go ahead and hit Uncle Lee's afterwards. It was a hell of a store back then as well

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  7. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    I remember when Darrell first started. I agree it has definitely changed. But I would not compare it to Gander mountain. They still have a ton of guns. I rarely go into the gun part anymore but they have a nice bow shop now with a couple of good guys working back there.

8. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I felt the same way when we went last Nov. I generally stock up on reloading powder every year when I go for rutcation, but the prices and selection was no better then I can get here.

9. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Darrell was great at buying up closeouts or clearance guns and paying cash for everything to keep costs low. Used guns were marked with price out the door on the box. There website has improved over the years, but still not as easy as some to find what you need. The new building and inventory must be taking a toll on prices. Not sure you need to stock every Jebs choke tube or Leupold Rings and Bases for every make and model. The place would always be packed when they were in the old location and now seems like foot traffic is light.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  10. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I haven’t been in a long time. Didn’t know it’s changed that much. I bought a shotgun and ladder stand there and couple boxes turkey loads. All I ever bought. I guess the main reason I went a few times there is to eat at moonlight. Damn good. Mutton my fav.

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  11. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Went there back in March to buy a Browning BT-99. I was wanting an older one due to the quality and finish is much better. They had one old loose scuffed up one and wanted $50 less than a new plain Jane one. Ended up buying one off gunbroker in perfect condition for the same price. I got a much better gun online.

FOWLER2671 and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  12. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    We've lost a couple of great places the old Uncle Lees and Darrel Whittakers. You used to find some great deals now not so much.

FOWLER2671 likes this.