Why the .5?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ginsenghunter, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    Why do people feel the need to add the .5 when guessing a deer's age? Deer are born over the course of several months maybe April to August from my gatherings. Why then when you get a trail pic of a buck on July 8th do people say he is 4.5? It makes little sense to me. It's all a guess as it is, why throw the .5 in? Is it like in a human baby and they are all aged in months until they are 2? Then in years. Since bucks only live to be a few years old on average someone decided to give them credit for .5 a year? Just wondering.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Hang on...... Ok, I have my popcorn ready..

3. old_king_SKOAL

old_king_SKOAL Spike

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, be it as the majority of deer are born in the spring months, the ensuing fall would make them around 6 months old. So maybe you can do some math and realize that .5 + 1 year (till next hunting season) =.5 year increments. This is a general consensus on the age of a deer with obvious variables. Your posts, are a pathetic attempt to cause an uproar on petty, non productive topics. This is clearly an indication of your desperate cry for attention Why don't you yell upstairs and see if your mom has the meatloaf ready for lunch already....

4. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Countdown to GH BANNED time.......
    Any guesses?

5. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Yesterday?!?!

6. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Old King Skoal, DJ showed me the picture of your buck harvest. Awesome deer, dude!

7. old_king_SKOAL

old_king_SKOAL Spike

Nov 14, 2011
    Shot him in the neck at 20 yards......as he mule kicked and I listened to my arrow to determine if it was a fatal shot, I split my first arrow as he was running away w/ a follow up shot.

8. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    How are "the majority of deer born in the spring months"? It is widely known it takes right at 7 months for gestation. We all know the majority of KY does are bred in November and the rest come in every 28 days until bred. This puts the calendar in KY them starting to fawn in June and every 28+- days after that.
    You can try to turn this into something it's not. It's just a question of why July and August pictures get the same .5 as December and January pictures.
    Even Buckfever knows I have a valid point.

9. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Hope it rains today.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

10. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

I really need to start reading the OP name before clicking on threads. For someone who knows everything GH sure does ask a lot of questions. Is that you Mathews Z7.

11. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Nothing better in life than double-neck shootin' a 180" public land buck on a Sempt evening with a breezy NW wind.

I guess ol' Tom "Jugular" Jenkins shared his patented neck shot techique with ya.

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    For God's sakes, pipe down. Can't you see Old King Skoal and I are discussing important deer matters. You're more than .5 to being an annoying moron.

13. old_king_SKOAL

old_king_SKOAL Spike

Nov 14, 2011
    So if someone asked you how old you were would you not give them a year? "I'm 36". Or would you define it down to the day? C'mon.... You seriously need to re-evaluate the quality of the threads you start on here.

14. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    You just proved my point. The deer is 3, just like we are 36. That's why I asked why everyone has taken up the .5. 50 posts in 2 years. Glad you commented.

15. old_king_SKOAL

old_king_SKOAL Spike

Nov 14, 2011
    You almost had it perfect. The 13th I had a NE wind.