Wild Hogs

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by DH13, Feb 19, 2019.

1. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    GOLDEN POND, Ky. (AP) - An increase in the number of wild hogs at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area on the Kentucky-Tennessee border has officials considering options to get rid of the animals, including aerial gunning.

Land Between the Lakes spokesman Chris Joyner told The Paducah Sun that the recreation area's management was advised late last year that it needed a more intensive strategy than trapping the animals. He said crews trapped 70 hogs in 2018 and 26 in one week this year.

The feral swine are destroying crops, displacing native species and damaging cultural sites including graveyards.

Kentucky wildlife biologist Terri Brunjes says trapping and hunting won't fully eradicate the animals, but aerial gunning has been used successfully in other areas.

Land Between the Lakes is still considering its options. There's no timeline for a decision.

___

Information from: The Paducah Sun, http://www.paducahsun.com

(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    A big part of the problem is a healthy sow can have several litters a year, and those offspring can reproduce before they are a year old.. The other issue is there are people turning hogs loose so they can have have something else to hunt.. The 1# way to control hogs is by trapping you also need to hunt them 24/7/365 day or night and even doing all that it still next to impossible to stop the spread.. I know several farmers in GA who have been battling hogs for years and have hardly knocked a dent in them.. Hogs are not only destructive they can also be very dangerous, they will eat anything from plants to reptiles ever small animals, theoretically a large hog could kill you stomp you into the ground and eat you, it's never happened as far as I know , but humans have been fed to hogs by unsavory types.. At any rate they need to be controlled as soon as possible wherever they pop up or you are going to have problem.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Put a bounty on them and turn the hunters loose as you say 24/7/365, Bait allowed. Have those wishing to hunt hogs register at headquarters. Give free LBL permits to hog hunters even. Don't turn it into a money game except for the hunters.

kyjohnky likes this.
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Hunters can’t kill enough hogs to put a dent in them.

Trapping and aerial gunning seems to work best. That’s what they’ve used in far Western KY.

I believe there is a KYAfield podcast that explains the pig situation in KY. I believe the fella said something along the lines of KY hunters being good at conservation but poor at eradication.

EdLongshanks, Nock and Munson like this.
  5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Enough hunters given free rein can make a dent in them, getting those enough hunters may be a issue tho. If they can eradicate passenger pigeons they can eradicate anything. And put enough of a hurt on waterfowl market hunting was outlawed it can work. LBL is not that large a place given the area and landlocked. Maybe they can bring in White Buffalo and I can go down and get paid to shoot hogs like I did on deer at one time. Have to keep my ear out and see if Dr Tony needs some help.

6. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    They have some pretty hi tech remote operated traps now days that seem quite effective. I don't see hunters eradicating them, even using night vision equipment.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Trapping is #1 , hunting day or night is #2 , aerial gunning works good if you have open ground useless in woods of swamps where most hogs are east of the Mississippi.. I would bet I know more about hogs then the biologists in KY , I have helped control on farms (or try) in three states that are over run ,, FL, GA and TX .

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    elkaholic likes this.
  8. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Maybe the pigeons should’ve learned to fly at night.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Last I heard Dr Tony was trapping hogs off a island off the California coast and I would say he has some of those high tech traps. They were killing them after being trapped and removing the dead hogs away by helicopter for processing for food banks. I am sure KDFWR wouldn't want to pay what White Buffalo charges tho. But they are the Pro's when it comes to this type thing.

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I never figured out if they ate them or not or just used them for target practice. I would say they just thought of them as pest.

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Good video but not many places like that in LBL. Cool to watch that guy fly that chopper backwards and the other guy shoot. Wonder if they just leave them lay or pick them up later for processing for food banks. Looks like a lot of wasted meat hitting the ground. Few cases of overkill with a heck of a lot of shots after a hog was on the ground.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    ojibwa62 likes this.
  12. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    What does a wild hog taste like. Anyone ever eaten one

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They say not worth a darn but ground up and used in soup kitchens who could tell the difference. Lot of people out there that would take it no questions ask I am sure.

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've killed only one(300lb boar) and did a full blown process of the meat .....and all I can say is everyone in my family or otherwise enjoyed it.

If I did another one.... I'd go for chops and then grind most if not all of it up for breakfast sausage. Which the chops on the grill with glaze of Jack Daniels grilling sauce is mighty fine and breakfast sausage will go fast.

Which I wont lie....especially a boar ...the meat can be a little strong..... but add a little smoke from the grill you will never know its a "wild " critter.