WMA opinion...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by nontypical2002, Mar 13, 2018.

1. nontypical2002

nontypical2002 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2006
    Would anyone have any idea if the WMA's receive very much hunting pressure youth weekend? We have a 11 yr old boy that we're gonna try getting on a bird that weekend....

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Where in the state do you live?

3. nontypical2002

nontypical2002 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2006
  4. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Plenty of room at Kleber in Owen/Franklin counties. Also DBNF near Cave Run Lake. Lace up those boots and you can find a spot or two.

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Will send you PM

6. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    You'll have company at all those places. I had a bad youth hunt experience at kleber/rich when I took a youth hunter a few years ago. Long story short not everyone hunting that day was a youth and our run in was potentially dangerous but thankfully no one was hurt. Yes FW got called.

DH13 likes this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    THIS IS TRUE. GETS CROWDED AND EVERYBODY HUNTING ISNT UNDER 16. Witness first hand myself when took grandson there to hunt 2 years ago. CO got called then to.

8. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
  9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    If you're north of Lexington the Griffith woods WMA would be close for you it's on Highway 62 in between Georgetown and Cynthiana, should be plenty of turkeys around there too

DH13 likes this.
  10. Which ever WMA you chose to try, you should be out there soon and do your homework. If you haven't hunted a youth season in the past it is a totally different game. Hunting a new area you need to find the birds and follow them to find their travel line. Where they like to go. Look for turkey sign along with hunter tracks. Try to figure out how much competition your going to have.

11. nontypical2002

nontypical2002 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2006
    Thank you for all the responses fellas...truly didn't expect the popularity at the WMA's for youth season. It's a good thing for sure as long as the youth is the one hunting....burns my ass on parents that bend the law in this manner. Thanks again

12. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    One of the biggest issues during the youth/early season hunt is the lack of vegetation/leaves to hide the hunter while walking. A bird can be 400 yds away on roost and see you moving when there are no leaves. That almost forces the Hunter to be stationary or be on higher ground. It can be tough.

13. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Hunting on WMAs is a challenge...it is doable but you will need to do some scouting...
    1. You need to have a location in mind before hand...running and gunning is a NO GO (unless you enjoy tripping over other hunters)
    2. Get in there well before daybreak (walking in the dark can be scary for a small child so take it easy)...the best locations on Kleber are well known and all require a pretty good hike (which can be tough on small kids)...
    3. Once you get set up, go easy on the calling...it is a lot of fun to hear a big old tom answering you from the roost, but every gobble brings other hunters closer...
    4. Once the turkeys fly down, still go easy on the calls...you want the tom to respond and come to you but not other hunters (and they are BAD for this)...
    5. Dress in layers...those early April mornings can get really cold around daybreak but become very warm later in the day...
    6. Have you child practice some at 40 yards...it is very open out there...know absolutely the range limit for whatever gun (a 20 gauge set up right may really surprise you) your child is using...
    7. Use a blind and hen decoys...set up in an L shaped pattern favoring your child's opposite side ...

WMAallDAY likes this.
  14. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    They all get hunting pressure. From my experience, if you can keep the kid out there with you the whole time, I’d hunt all day. I know that’s a chore for a youngster when there is no action. But you can use that to your advantage. Most folks will leave around 10:30.

I like to let things die down and get quiet. The toms lose their hens and then start to panic. That’s your best bet. I use the late afternoon time to catch a little nap in the shade. Then get ready for the afternoon hunt to try to pin point the birds for the next morning.

Of course, it’s hunting so this works only less than half the time:) And just remember common courtesy in WMAs. It goes a long way.

WMAallDAY likes this.
  15. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    PeaBody WMA can't be beat for spring turkey.
    Scored 3 out of 3 opening mornings there.

DH13 likes this.