yellow lab or golden retreiver???

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by gates, Dec 7, 2002.

1. gates

gates 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2002
    Morgantown, KY, USA.
    I am currently fencing in about 2 acres, 1.5 acres of woods, for a dog. I have a farm in Butler County and some cows. I have two young boys,3 and 4 years old. I want a dog for us to take around the farm with us and fishing / hunting. I don't duck hunt. I would like to take him to dove shoots and squirrel hunting with us. I want a female that I will have fixed. We want a dog to take canoeing with us and a generally good pet/hunting dog. What would be better, the yellow lab or the retriver? I will want to buy a pup late spring or summer, after turkey season. Do you know of any good bloodlines to buy from for this purpose that may have pups soon?

Thanks,
    James

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Something to think about. If I was looking for a dog that I knew I was going to have fixed. I would shop the local animal shelters. look for a pup in the retriever line, they usually have plenty. Go with the one that is most playful and the one the seems to want to be with you.
    As for golden vs lab, for what you are wanting? Which is better, Ford or Chevy? They are both great dogs and will fill your wants.

Of course a GSP can do allllllll those things and more![;)]

Good luck and remember you are adding "kid" #3 to the family.

3. Rookie Hunter

Rookie Hunter Fawn

Jan 11, 2002
    Lexington, Ky, USA.
    I had a Golden from the time I was 10 yrs old to 21. I now have had a yellow lab for 5 years. Both dogs are incredibly great dogs. The only problem with the Golden was it was pretty hyper its first two years and was a little harder to train as far as keeping it from jumping on people. Goldens need a lot of love. We keep our Lab inside and the hair is less of a problem than the Golden was. I have 4 small children and my 18 month old boy often terrorizes our Lab but she loves it and has never exibited any type of agressive behavior towards any of our family. The Lab is a better watch dog than the Golden, that was what prompted me to go with the Lab. You can't go wrong with either dog, but just my personal opinion from having both, I like the labs just a little better. The Labs are better swimmers although both breeds are at home in the water. The Labs can withstand colder water temperatures. I highly reccomend a puppy socialization class, I balked when my wife suggested it. It sounded like some kind of left wing therapy session for puppies, But I got a lot of good training tips out of it, also it helps the dog get used to other dogs. When we are playing out in the yard and someone walks their dog by my Lab doesn't chase after it. I also took her outside of Wal-Mart when she was a puppy to do our training sessions, it got her in the habit of obeying my commands when there were a lot of people or distractions around. The only problem is everybody who walks by wants to pet the cute little puppy and you have to kindly tell them she is training and can not be bothered. Pups are a lot of work but well worth it. Remember whatever a puppy is allowed to do it will also do as a full grown dog, ie; my dad's 90 lb Golden loves to sit in your lap.

4. D.W.P.

D.W.P. 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2002
    E-Town, KY, USA.
    Gates, I have a three year old yellow lab. I have had dogs all of my life and I would say my yellow lab (Sadie) is the best ever. With a litle work it will be a excelent for dove hunting. Get the boys a lab they will have a friend for life. The only problem we have with her is we can't keep her out of the water. Bathtubs, creeks, ponds, mud holes. [;)]

5. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    if you are interested my sister and law has a yellow lab she is fixed and about 3-4 years old she has had this dog since she was a pup she is housebroke and has grown up with a boy and girl she is a loveable dog my sisternlaw has come on hard times and has too move she is going to have to put the dog down if she cant find a home i would take her but i have rottweilers and cant handle another dog it would be a waste of a good dog if you or anyone you know is interested e mail me and ill give you any info you need thanks