Yellow Lab

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by gates, Oct 20, 2003.

1. gates

gates 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2002
    Morgantown, KY, USA.
    I am picking up my 7 week old yellow lab pup today. Me, my 3 and 4 year old sons will be using her for a "good buddy" dog to take fishing, dove hunting(a few times per year), cattle farming, and all around pet dog. I have about 1 acre fenced in for her to run in while we are gone, half of it is wooded. I am going to put a pet door on my shop and let her get in there, it is insulated and I keep a fire going in the stove when the temps are below 40.

Anyone have any advice for a new lab owner? I plan a getting her fixed and her dew claws removed.

I'll post a pic of her and the boys later.

James

2. Fur and Feather

Fur and Feather 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    Labs never stop being puppies!!!

3. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

First two years they love to chew, get through that and your home free.

4. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">First two years they love to chew<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    UNDERSTATEMENT!!![:D]

My lab ATE a wooden rocking chair!

You and your family have just adopted another family member. Labs are one of, if not the best familly dog there is.

"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog".

5. Bowcrazy

Bowcrazy Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Nancy, KY.
    My yellow lab just ate my wife's fall decorations....seems like he took a particular dislike to the scarecrow. He's back on a line and in the doghouse...woe be unto anyone who upholds him. Me and the boys are slipping him a scrap every now and then. She should be over it in time for him to be let loose and.... eat the Christmas lights again.

6. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Make sure you have everything in your shop put up that you don't want chewed. They will chew everything in sight for till they are about two years old. I recommend obedience training. There are numerous books out there. Wolters has a great book on starting retreivers from 7 weeks old to the finished product. Good luck!!!!

7. MRDUKS

MRDUKS 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2003
    MIDDLEBURG, KY, USA.
    The chewing up of everthing the first 2 to 3 years is the tough part I also would reccomend at least the basic obedience training it will make it more enjoyable for both of you. You will have a loyal companion for years.

8. kygoose

kygoose Fawn

Jun 17, 2003
    Pewee Valley, Ky..
    I'm getting a lab pup myself in a couple weeks. I remember my last one, he chewed the kitchen chair & table legs, wife didn't mind she said get her a new set. He also chewed a hole in the wall (drywall)He was worth every problem we had with him, very loyal & a hell of a meat hunter.

9. gates

gates 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2002
    Morgantown, KY, USA.
    Thanks for the advice. She seems to be a good pup. I will get a book and make sure to have some chew toys and sticks for the dog.

James

10. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    I would not let her chew sticks......two reasons, splinters in the gums.....and if you plan on using her for hunting, you throw sticks for her to fetch, she goes for a down bird, can't find it, and she may well bring back a stick.......... Use the dokken dead fowl or the plastic bumpers to train her with.

11. squirrelgravy

squirrelgravy 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2003
    My lab loved chewing the christmas tree!!! Lights, limbs, ornaments...hell, she even took the cheap ceramic balls and busted them in her mouth! As well as eating highlighters on the new rug. Those dogs sure love to chew!!

12. Bowcrazy

Bowcrazy Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Nancy, KY.
    Squirrelgravy, you've got one of the best names I've seen for a while......

13. duckdawg

duckdawg 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2002
    make friends with other retriever people. Join the closest retriever club in your area and attend training days with them. Where are you located at? check out www.angelfire.com/ky3/ckhra we have members throughout KY, and into Indiana and Ohio.
    A good new book available is Finished Dog by Charles Jurney (www.finisheddog.com) Wolter's books are okay but now there is alot better information available.
    A great site to find training info on is www.arhrc.com and go to the library.
    You can find some of the best retriever people in the country on www.retrievertraining.net and go to the message boards. Here you will find people who have put FC/AFC, MH, GRHRCH, HR, etc titles on dawgs.
    You can't eat a pig whole but you can eat a whole pig.
    remember they didn't build Rome in a few days....training takes alot of time and patience.

14. duckdawg

duckdawg 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2002
    BTW: if the dew claws were not removed shortly after birth it is going to be a painful surgery. Might as well leave them alone now. As long as you keep them trimmed you should not have any problems.
    Have fun....you can chose any color as long as it is YELLOW!

15. stevenvalley

stevenvalley Spike

Dec 10, 2001
    USA.
    I also had the same problem with the drywall. I got my lab in the winter and she stayed inside for a while. The day after I got her, I had to put her in the laundry room while I went to work. I came home to find the trim off the wall and a 2'x3' hole.