Your funniest hunting stories

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by brow_tines, Jan 1, 2004.

1. brow_tines

brow_tines 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Lake Cumberland, KY.
    Just thought this might be a fun topic [:D]

2. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    When I was a kid (along time ago), I took my shoes off in the woods to sneak up on a barking squirrel. He kept moving from tree to tree. I followed him around for 30 min. or so. I never got a shot at the squirrel, and I also couldn't find my shoes. I had to walk home bare footed.
    Carl

3. brow_tines

brow_tines 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Lake Cumberland, KY.
    OK here goes, a couple of years ago I was out squirrel hunting. It was getting dark when I came up on a hickory tree with 2 squirrels in it. Finding both squirrels I shot them both (or I thought I did). I only heard one thump. I seen one squirrel on the ground so I scanned the tree limbs for the other, I didn't see anything. So with it getting dark I thought I would claim my squirrel and head back toward the house. I walk to the squirrel and bent over at the waist to pick it up, and then I felt something "jump" on my back with claws extracted. Dropping my squirrel and my gun I began to do the best dance step I've ever done to get this "thing" off my back. After getting in off my back, I turned to investigate. It was the other squirrel that fell out of the tree onto my back! LOL

4. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    Couple of years ago, Birdman, D. Stafford and my son were goose hunting outside of Salt Lick. They were hid in a fencerow, I was under a sheet (snow on the ground), in the middle of the decoys, doing the calling. A wing of 20 to 30 birds came over and worked the dekes. They made two or three passes, each time getting lower and each time we waited one more time to see if they would land in the dekes. The next time they were ours. The geese decided there was not to be another pass. They lined out over the fence row, and just as they passed over where the three hunters hid in the fence row, the geese all defecated in unison. It was like a bombing run, with just about as disasterous results. I couldn't hunt for laughing at the hapless hunters![:D][:D][:D]

5. adam20_66

adam20_66 6 pointer

i saw a bullfrog in my pond just sitting on the bank, i went to pick it up and got about waist high when i relized their was a huge snake on the other end eating it!

6. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    It was the first saturday of turkey season, I had just bagged my second turkey and was heading back to the truck. It was raining when I got to my truck so I was rushed to get in. Before I got in, I looked at my back and noticed it was covered with blood from carrying the dead tom. I leaned my gun aginst the side of my truck, and took my pants off so I wouldn't get the seat bloody. I threw the pants in the back, jumped in and headed home. I got home, took the turkey out to the shed, cleaned it and went in for a shower. Couple hours later I got a phone call from the land owner asking if I had lost my gun. Told him nope that mine was in the house. Never thought anything aobut it and went downstairs to get it and clean it. Couldn't find it. I finally figuered out what happened. I left it against the truck and drove off without it.

The landowner was out driving around that day and noticed a car parked on his property at an ol local hangout(druggie hangout). He pulled in to see who it was, and as he pulled in, the gun in the car was pointing at the ground as if he didn't want him to run over it. Turned out to be MY gun. He picked the gun up, said he thought he knew who it belonged to and left. If it wouldn't have been for him driving by, I would have lost my gun. It would have been picked up and sold. I thought I would be able to look back and laugh at that one, but its still kinda sore!! I got extremly lucky!!

[​IMG]

7. kyscout

kyscout 6 pointer

Mar 28, 2002
    Florence, Kentucky, USA.
    Knocked a pop can out of a treestand when i was geting ready to draw my bow on a deer. Needless to say i didn't get the deer or to finish my drink. Now i make sure i take a canteen and a hook to hang them on.

8. Jblack

Jblack 8 pointer

Sep 3, 2003
    Somerset, Ky., USA.
    when I went to LBL this year, I had put out cat eyes (glowing thumbtacks)and when I went in the woods the first morning they were about 10 different trails marked with these things, so I got on the wrong trail and I kept calling to my bro-in-laws (on the radios) to see if I was even headed in the right direction and they finally got me headed on the right trail and I still made it to my treestand an hour before daylight. and heres another story. I had placed a treestand for my b-in-law to hunt and I told him on the lil creek bank there was a hole and to watch out for it (he had to follow my cat eyes) so he falls in the hole and when it gets daylight he notices that his right eye is kinda blurry and he sees a (coyote) walkin around his stand and draws his bow and finally figures out that the land owners dog had followed him in the woods and was wandering under the stand so then he figures out what has happened and has to get out of the stand and go look for his lense that had fell out of his glasses when he fell in the hole and he called me on the radio and told me what happened and I bout fell out of the stand laughing so hard especially when he told me he had just about shot the dog but the dog still lives

just bein out there is enuff

9. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    I've posted this before but, It was an evening hunt w/ a buddy in Clarksville TN, we were hunting a bean field. I had just set up and to my suprise a rut crazed 7 pointer was going back & forth looking for does. This went on for an hour or so, and with limited time to hunt here I decided to take him. Needles to say I missed (More than once) I emptied my quiver and this deer stayed around. Well bout 10 minutes before dark my Buddy comes to get me and this deer, obviously rut crazed begins to chase my Buddy toward me, here he comes running, deer right behind him shouting "Nock an arrow, shoot this damn deer" Funny thing was, I didn't have an arrow, they were all lost in knee high soybeans!

I'm sure at the time my friend was scared, but I laughed & laughed. We now share this story together on the rare occasion we get to visit one another.

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

10. Eagle85

Eagle85 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2003
    Irvine, Kentucky, USA.
    When I was a young buck, my grandfather took me rabbit hunting. As we topped the ridge, we saw a rabbit, and papaw handed me is 12ga. I had never shot anything bigger than his .410, but was pretty comfortable with that. So I took aim...

When I pulled the trigger on that cannon, it knocked me backwards... HARD. Papaw grabbed the gun, but missed me, and I went about 20 feet down the hill on my backside! Needless to say, I missed the rabbit, but I did take home a nice bruise on my shoulder.

The next year, I gave it another try and bagged my first rabbit. Papaw gave me that shotgun because he said he and I were the only ones not afraid to shoot it, and I still use it today! Most everyone who has ever shot it complains about the kick, but it is one of my favorite guns... because it reminds me of hunting with my papaw!

11. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    When I was 12-13 years old, went squirrel hunting. Was going in the woods before daylight. I was walking up a small hollow and stepped in a covey of quail. I had birds coming up my pant legs, hitting my arms, going crazy. I did the logical thing any young fellar wanting to be a man would do. I dropped my shotgun, jumped a fence, sreaming like a woman!!!!! Was glad no one was there to see it!!![xx(][xx(]

12. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    Great story Eagle85! Wish I had a gun like that!

I got a double for you! The first isn't that great, but the second is a doosey!

A friend and I were squirrel hunting. He had a .22 and had shot a squirrel straight above him. After he shot the squirrel, the thing started to drop, but hung on with one leg. For no apparent reason, my friend looks down at his gun. When he looks up again, the squirrel is about a foot from his head! Ended up hitting him on the cheek! I saw him later and asked him about the blood, that's when he related the story!

Here's the good one!!!!! Several years ago, my brother and I went deer hunting during the early muzzleloading season. We stay in a cabin up in the woods before/during our hunting. No electricty or water. As usual there were quite a few beers consumed the night before we went hunting. Only problem was that my brother had eaten quite a bit of pizza at lunch somewhere in town (that combined with cheap beer doesn't mix well). The next morning, we were getting ready to go when a "pain" hit my brother. He went up in the woods and took care of business. We went hunting, he went one way, and I went another. I ended up shooting 2 deer and a coyote that morning (the second deer was a mercy killing, in that the coyote had it down getting ready to finish it off, before my "Big 58 cal" stepped in and took care of the coyote). After all of this, I heard my brother shoot. I waited up in the stand, but eventually got down to check everything out (all 3 animals had dropped where they were). I went back down to the cabin to wait for my brother to come down. As it would happen, my brother and I both came upon the cabin at about the same time. He and I are talking about what happened, and as luck (bad I might add) would have it, I was down wind from him. He and I are talking and I said, "I smell sh*t!" He said, "Don't even start!!!! I've had a bad day!!!! Well, here's 'the rest of the story'. As it would happen, my brother was hunting in a shooting shack we have. It's 4' x 8' and on skids so we can pull it where we want it. He was hunting in this when another "pain" hit him. He got out of the shack, and went up the hill a little to take care of it. He was doing OK until he had to raise his leg up to get his coveralls off. You guessed it!!! Crapped all over himself![:0] Well, he proceeded to take his coveralls off, took his knife and cut his underwear off and used the "clean" parts to clean himself up a bit after he had finished getting rid of the rest of what was inside him!!!! He cleaned himself up, pulled his pants up, and then went to put his coveralls back on (Mistake!!![:I]). As he was getting his coveralls back on, he lost his balance and fell backwards into what he had just "deposited". After getting up and several foul words, he got back into the shooting shack (now named the "SH*T SHACK"). He had a deer start coming down the logging road, but stopped and stuck her nose up in the air (wonder what she was smelling[;)]). He decided that she wasn't going to get any closer, so he took the shot. This was when I came back down to the cabin to get me to blood trail the thing for him.

I trailed it as best I could, but lost the blood trail after about 40 yds. We looked and searched over the hills and hollows in the area for about 2 hours, but never did come up with anything else. I think he hit it high in the shoulder from the blood that I found and from what he said. Anyway, he was pretty bummed out for not finding the deer. We got the 4 wheeler and got my 2 and the coyote out (which didn't help his mood any). Somewhere in loading the coyote, it must have brushed up against his camo pants (it was a male). Later on, we went down to my mother's to show her the deer and the coyote. Her back yard is fenced and has 2 big Dobermans in it, one of which is a big red male. We were sitting in the back yard on 5 gallon buckets talking about everything when all of the sudden my brother jumps up and says, "I'VE HAD IT"!!!!!! My mother and I looked over, and the male Doberman was by him, and there was a big wet spot on my brother's camo pants (evidently, where the coyote had brushed his pants)!!!!!![:D][:D][:D]

Talk about a bad day! First, the boy sh*ts on himself, falls backwards into it, shoots a deer and then looses it, has to deal with his younger brother outdooing him, and then a dog pees on him! This was several years ago, and I can still hardly type from laughing so hard!!!!![}:)][}:)][:D][:D][:D]

13. I dont think its funny but everbody else does. I was hunting on the ground when a deer walked right up to me then I experienced the meanest deer fever I ever had in my miserable life then,(POOF),my contact popped out of my shooting eye. Couldnt see nothing.Blind as a bat. My hunting partner is probably still laughing and that happened years ago.
    You try shooting with your other eye!

C Man

Obey the rules, and we will all be glad later.

14. yelper

yelper 8 pointer

Nov 17, 2003
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by brow_tines</i>
    <br />Just thought this might be a fun topic [:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is as good as the squirrel nuts thread!!! You guys are killin' me!

I took my boys squirrel hunting a few years ago (.22 rifles) in an attempt to get my youngest his first squirrel. It was one of those days that nothing was moving, so I found a small tree with a nest/grapevine and gave it a shake. A fox squirrel jumped out of the nest and my youngest fired at him. Up the tree he went, another shot was fired. The squirrel did the superman jump from the top of that tree, hit the ground and was GONE.

We walked over the hill and found another nest, I gave the vine a shake and out pops another squirrel. Both boys started firing at him,the bullets went Zingggggg, Pekurrrrrrrrr, off of the branch. About 8 shots were fired and the squirrel went back into the nest. I shook and shook the vine, but he wouldn't come out. I told the boys to lower their rifles and CLIMBED THE TREE. I was about 20 feet high and grabbed the branch the nest was on, SHAKE, SHAKE and out pops the squirrel almost in my face! I decended the tree in record time and said, "Let the guantlet begin" and they pumped 6 or 8 more rounds at him. At that point, superman #2 jumped from the tree like the first one, hit the ground and was GONE!! At that point, my son looks up at me and said, "Dad, are these flying squirrels?"

Needless to say I took them to the range later and you know what? They tore that bullseye up!

Squirrel Hunting - Not big game, but BIG FUN none-the-less!!!!

15. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Me, my dad and my 2 uncles decided to go rabbit hunting. We didn't have a dog so we just spread out and tried to kick one up.We walked for what seemed like miles when a suddenly lone quail flew up. My uncle was the first to draw down on it with his old single barrel stevens and he nailed it. We walked and walked and still no rabbits. Finally we decided to go home. The women were on the front porch and ask , how many did you get. My uncle had a big grin on his face. He said "I am the only good hunter in the bunch" He reached into the back of his hunting coat and pull the quail. As he held it up it fluttered and flew out of sight. I will never forget the look on his face.

Carl