Yukon Moose Ideas???

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Matt Orr, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Matt Orr

Matt Orr 6 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    London, Ky
    Looking to do an unguided Yukon Moose hunt this fall. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? It's always been a hunt my dad has wanted to do but hasn't. He's been down this year due to a bout with Lymes disease but on the road back. My mom wanted to surprise him with it for his bday and also as a good reason to keep working to get back into shape. So with that in mind, it's probably best that it isn't an absolute killer hunt either. Any suggestions???

Gooch likes this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    going to need a lot of gear for a 10-14 day hunt, but still cheaper that a $20-$25,000 guided hunt (per hunter). may try calling this place and asking what they would recommend. http://barneyssports.com/ . i talked to the owner a few years ago and he was very knowledgeable. i called for some gear and ended up talking about different hunts. i believe he's an ex-outfitter/guide.

3. Matt Orr

Matt Orr 6 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    London, Ky
    Ok great thanks, I'll check it out. I think I should have most of the gear but still need advice on drop camp possibilities, air services and such. Hoping to find something for around the $6k range...

4. GroundPound

GroundPound Spike

Dec 21, 2010
    Swamp Gulch
    Do you have any experience at going out west or to the northwest to hunt big game? Seems very ambitious if this is something you are throwing together on a whim. Hope you dad has a speedy recovery, good luck on the moose.

5. Matt Orr

Matt Orr 6 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    London, Ky
    We've hunted out West a lot. Always been public land, do it yourself. Just never moose hunted in Alaska.

6. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Click on this link and get all the info you want. Lots of great info on this site and if you want specifics, just ask and someone will answer. Good luck to you and your dad and if you go, take lots of pics and post a good story. http://forums.bowsite.com/biggame/section.cfm?gameid=15

7. Matt Orr

Matt Orr 6 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    London, Ky
    Gotcha! Thanks Strutter!