10mm hunters

bluegrassDan

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2008
I have decided to build a custom 10mm long slide 1911 for deer hunting. It's a great round for inside 125 yards, which most of my shots will be, heck, 75 is kind of a long shot for where I hunt. Anyone have experience with this round? Load data and terminal performance out of a 6 inch barrel is what I am after. This is a new direction for the shop, 1911's are one of those pistols that you really have to understand to do right, so I figure I will learn on my own gun first....so you guys wanting custom 1911's might need to wait a little longer before we offer that service. But with hunting season coming up...now is the time for any tune ups or new rifle work...wait time on barrels and actions is still hit and miss but we can usually get what you need in a few weeks.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I deer hunt with 10mm. I use a 6” and 5”. I just shoot whichever hp/sp full power load is the most accurate in that handgun. I don’t go in much for the super mondo hard cast etc bullets. Keep my shots inside 45 yards (open sights) it will do the trick.

Does a darn sight better than .357 magnum in my experience.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I have decided to build a custom 10mm long slide 1911 for deer hunting. It's a great round for inside 125 yards, which most of my shots will be, heck, 75 is kind of a long shot for where I hunt. Anyone have experience with this round? Load data and terminal performance out of a 6 inch barrel is what I am after. This is a new direction for the shop, 1911's are one of those pistols that you really have to understand to do right, so I figure I will learn on my own gun first....so you guys wanting custom 1911's might need to wait a little longer before we offer that service. But with hunting season coming up...now is the time for any tune ups or new rifle work...wait time on barrels and actions is still hit and miss but we can usually get what you need in a few weeks.
Shooting Underwood ammo, 200 gr bonded. My self imposed hunting range is 50-60 yds due to the energy, or lack thereof.
20220520_095949_copy_918x572.jpg

Mt Pokt

8 pointer
Nov 8, 2018
Campbell County
I use Underwood 180gr bonded HPs in my Glock 40. Been a little while but seems like I was getting 1.5" at 40 yards off a rest with them. I have a Vortex red dot on mine.

I have an RMR on my 29 and it's fed the same 180gr stuff for EDC and Underwood 200gr HCFN hiking and camping.

When I got my Glock 40, I read miles of text on what works in the Glocks based on barrel size. That was many years ago though and the only thing I can say is that I settled on the UW 180gr bonded stuff because it grouped better then the Buffalo Bore, and others I tried, and was very similar in make up to what some hand loaders were doing already from a speed/energy scenario.

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
I’ve been having great luck with accuracy with the Underwood’s out of my new s&w m&p. HUGE power difference between them and the target 10mm ammo I’ve shot thru it. I’m saving up to put a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro on it and hoping to kill with it this fall!

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I’ve been having great luck with accuracy with the Underwood’s out of my new s&w m&p. HUGE power difference between them and the target 10mm ammo I’ve shot thru it. I’m saving up to put a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro on it and hoping to kill with it this fall!
I wish the underwood’s would shoot poi in my guns. Ive had great luck with the Atomic bonded HPs. Hard to find their bonded bullets lately.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
In red dots I have Trijicon, Vortex, Leupold DeltaPoint and Sightmark. IMO the Sightmarks are equal to those double in price. Here's a couple on sale due to being showroom demo models. The difference in these two is the LQD is quick release. Eurooptic.com
Screenshot_20220525-151917_Chrome_copy_432x452.jpg

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
In red dots I have Trijicon, Vortex, Leupold DeltaPoint and Sightmark. IMO the Sightmarks are equal to those double in price. Here's a couple on sale due to being showroom demo models. The difference in these two is the LQD is quick release. Eurooptic.com
View attachment 100880
How is the sight picture? From everything I’ve read, the Leupold has the biggest window. I did notice that they have a demo for $389 in stock.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Personally when hunting I prefer tritium standard sights. I have killed very few deer in perfect light and clear weather. With a pistol the distances aren’t great enough to justify optics.

That’s just me though.

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
Personally when hunting I prefer tritium standard sights. I have killed very few deer in perfect light and clear weather. With a pistol the distances aren’t great enough to justify optics.

That’s just me though.
I can do it more than accurately enough. I just like the idea of a red dot. Mainly because, well, just because. Lol.

bluegrassDan

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2008
I just mounted a Sig Romeo on a G19. Not having used a red dot on a pistol before and used to the military issue red dot sights on an M4, this is a nice rig. The only bitch I have is that the brightness cannot be adjusted and man is that damn thing bright. I got this as an extra from one of the suppliers, so thought why not? I think if I buy another red dot for a pistol it will be an RMR with adjustable brightness and a smaller dot size.

bluegrassDan

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2008
Well, its finished as far as the fit and assembly goes. Shoots Hornady 175gr FlexLock duty ammo really well. Needs to be Cerakoted and then start the load development process. its about 90% Wilson Combat with a Para Ordinance frame and slide. For my first ever custom 1911, I am happy and learned a ton about these I never really thought about before. Now I see why full custom is so expensive, there is a boat load of hand fitting on these things.

Attachments

• 20220626_125248.jpg
    20220626_125248.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 12

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
Well, its finished as far as the fit and assembly goes. Shoots Hornady 175gr FlexLock duty ammo really well. Needs to be Cerakoted and then start the load development process. its about 90% Wilson Combat with a Para Ordinance frame and slide. For my first ever custom 1911, I am happy and learned a ton about these I never really thought about before. Now I see why full custom is so expensive, there is a boat load of hand fitting on these things.
Nice rig. You could always send it to Jesse James for the full custom treatment. Lol.