A good afternoon!

1badDart

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2012
W. KY
My brother has planted hay beans in the bottoms behind my shop, so I've been watching for whistle pigs. I saw one earlier in the week but couldn't get the gun out before he got in the hole. Yesterday while mowing I spotted one, I had to move my bench and get the rifle out, again something spooked it. Figuring it would be back out I left the rifle on the rest and went back to work.. Sure enough one came out, but not the one I saw earlier. I have killed many groundhogs in this field so I know the ranges and this one was about 400 yards, so I lined up the 400 yard reticle and squeezed, dead ground hog. About 20 minutes later the first hog came back out at around 450 yards. I made the adjustment to my scope and squeezed off, miss. The wind had picked up and it's hard to read coming off the hills.

I went back to work in my shop and checked again about 30 minutes later and there was one out near the one I killed earlier, aim, squeeze, bang dead ground hog. I got a bottle of water and just sat at the bench and waited hoping the hog I missed would come back out. I didn't have to wait long. The wind had died so I made the adjustment to my scope, settled my breath, aim, squeeze, bang, dead ground hog

The dog and walked down to them, 405, 410 and 440 yards. I have killed 8 hogs in this field so far this year, 7 of them have been 400 yards or more.

I took this through the scope after shooting the first one, it's in the red circle.

Over the top of the scope to put it in perspective.

Victims, I'd say they are about 2/3 grown.

Chilly

12 pointer
Nov 18, 2009
Under a tree and looking up!!!
I know you've been bombarded with questions, but I have another...
What type of stock do you have on that setup and how is it balanced?
I have the model 12FV and it is very front heavy especially with the 26" barrel.

1badDart

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2012
W. KY
The stock is a Stockade Gun Stocks Elk Stalker, I shoot left handed and like thumbhole stocks so I chose this one. Yes it's still front heavy, not as bad as it was in the factory Tupperware stock. This rifle weighs 12 pounds so it doesn't get packed around much.

I killed another whistle pig this afternoon in a friends field, about 130-140 yards. I wish I'd had this rifle 30 years ago.

1badDart

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2012
W. KY
Chilly I really like the stock, it puts my hand in a more natural (for me) position for shooting. Stockade has another stock called a Coyote Hunter that has a narrower for end that I'm considering buying for my pencil barrel Savage 260 deer rifle. Be forewarned though that these stocks are built on order and it takes a whiiiiiile to get them. I'm thinking I ordered mine in September and received it in late February or early March, was told 15-16 weeks.

Jacobhwrd

6 pointer
Jan 26, 2014
Richmond, Ky
Impressive shooting. I was just talking to a guy at work about my interest in ground hogs starting next year. I haven't done any research yet but if I can I am in a desperate need for something to hunt in the summer months. Unless they lengthen spot lighting coyotes I have nothing to do till migratory bird opens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1badDart

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2012
W. KY
I got this guy yesterday afternoon in the same field as the first three, 420 yards. I love this rifle!

IMG_0792.JPG