Any refrigeration guys here?

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
I’ve been looking for a ice machine for a couple weeks now. I have found one from a woman that speaks very little English. All she can tell me is needs tuneup it makes ice but does not defrost. It’s a good quality commercial unit that I can get for cheap but it’s not worth the gamble and potentially spending several hundred dollars if not more to get it working just wondering if anybody on here could possibly give me any advice?

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
When you say defrost do you mean drop ice?

I’m not sure. I would assume it’s icing up somewhere it’s not supposed to. I’ll try to ask her again but I feel like she’s getting frustrated with all the questions and I just keep getting the same response. “Needs reset or tuneup, makes ice does not defrost”

The pictures of it are backed up in a dirty Restaurant corner. My initial thoughts was it needs a good cleaning and blow the fins out but I don’t know what she’s talking about reset. it does have like a little computer panel. It’s a Berg commercial ice machine

Last edited:

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
When you say defrost do you mean drop ice?

After some quick research I would bet the coating on the Coil has came off making it difficult for the harvest assist to push the cubes out. Who really knows, but that’s definitely worst case scenario on older units Definitely having second thoughts on this deal

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I’ve been looking for a ice machine for a couple weeks now. I have found one from a woman that speaks very little English. All she can tell me is needs tuneup it makes ice but does not defrost. It’s a good quality commercial unit that I can get for cheap but it’s not worth the gamble and potentially spending several hundred dollars if not more to get it working just wondering if anybody on here could possibly give me any advice?
We have a small ice machine we use at our lake house. Wasn't expensive. Have to ask the boss brand and $$. Slightly larger than a mini frig.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
That would be great info
Interested as well. I'm tired of buying ice.
I have watched a couple videos of diy ice makers on YouTube. Small chest freezer and fridge ice maker..looks like they work.
Around $500. Thought she told me around $200.....hmmmm. getting another one for the house we're building and it will go in our nice cool basement. The unit at our lake house sits outside and is used daily. To make the ice last longer, we will sometimes fill ziplock gallon bags up and put in the freezer. Unit works well for us.
Screenshot_20220514-101805_Amazon Shopping_copy_1080x1768.jpg

Screenshot_20220514-101740_Amazon Shopping_copy_1062x1075.jpg

Last edited: